23

The next two days were a crazy blur. I spoke each day as part of a panel that was showcasing new biomedical inventions and stood at a booth doing meet and greets as potential investors stopped by to gather more information about the hearing device. Even though the bulk of the convention attendees were older men and women, I had a fair share who wanted pictures with me or autographs for their kids. I was happy to oblige.

I was with Sadie a lot as I fulfilled my assigned duties. I wished I could say it was like old times, but it wasn't. We were polite to each other, but she kept me at arm's length emotionally. She made it clear our relationship was only professional. At one point I'd asked about her family, and she shut me down cold. Her friendliness the first night had apparently stemmed from the alcohol she'd consumed.

At the end of the second day, Bill called everyone into his suite.

"I have some great news to share," he said with a broad smile on his face. "We've quadrupled our investments in the hearing aid. We can proceed with the trials as soon as we get government approval!"

The room erupted in cheers and bottles of champagne started popping. After the short celebration concluded, most of the group went down to the casino to drink and gamble one last time before flying out the next morning. I wasn't in the mood, so I walked to the elevator to go down two floors to my room. As the door was closing, it reopened and Sadie stepped in. she gave me a weak smile.

"Congrats," I said, smiling at her.

"I owe you a thank you," she replied. "I just heard that you helped secure the other investments."

"No thanks are necessary. I do ask one favor though," I said as we reached our floor.

We both stepped out and started walking towards our rooms.

"What's that?" She asked warily.

"Can you tell me if it works for Tony? I really need to know," I asked.

We stopped at her room, and she seemed to be mulling something over before she spoke. "Do you want to come in and talk?"

"Are you sure?"

She shrugged. "It's been a strange couple of days being here with you, but I think I can handle talking to you alone. I know I've been impersonal, but I had to be that way. You know?"

She unlocked the door with her key card and we stepped inside. I was immediately struck by how the small hotel room smelled like her. It must have been a combination of all the products she used. It was heavenly and made me feel at home, though my actual home had lost her scent long ago.

I took a seat on the small modern loveseat and she sat on a chair across from me. She kicked off her heels and put her feet up on the coffee table. If things had turned out differently, I'd have reached for them to rub the soreness away. I knew how much she hated shoes like that.

"So I'm ready to hear about your life," she said. "It's been over a year. How are you?"

I wasn't sure where to start. After a few seconds, I decided to begin with my career.

"The new album is doing really well," I told her. "It's gotten great reviews, too."

She smiled warmly at me. "It's an amazing album. I love it."

My jaw dropped. "You've listened to it?"

"Of course. I mean, I knew most of the songs already because you played them for me, but I had to hear them together on the album."

"Wow. I'm surprised."

"Why?"

"You broke up with me, got a great job, moved back home. I don't know...I just thought you didn't care about anything that had to do with me," I said.