Chapter 42 ➳ In The Water

ابدأ من البداية

Again, he leaned down and pressed his lips to mine for the last time while he used his left arm to wrap around my body. I fell right into it... Until I was being shaken and I opened my eyes to find that Dwight wasn't on top of me anymore and his lips weren't on mine.

I sat up and looked to my left, where Daryl was laid-out on my bed. "Hey," he said and it almost scared me, because of that very graphic dream that I just had. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's okay," I claimed and took a deep breath afterwards. Now, I was believing that this was reality and not that dream that I just had. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he grunted, looking away. I could see somewhat of his face, but more of his silhouette than anything else. "I just wanted to know if you were okay, from earlier."

To be honest, I didn't really expect Daryl to care so much about me, especially after how everything went today after I told him and Tara off. I gulped and shook my head from my current thoughts. "I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Gotta be," I replied, almost instantly. "Is that why you really came in here for and woke me up?"

"I heard you from my room," he claimed, shaking his head. "When I came in here, you were talking and shaking yourself up."

Now, I was skeptical. Oh, God, what if he heard me mumbling Dwight's name, if I even did? Hopefully, that isn't the case, after all. I just shook my head and apologized, "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"I know," he grunted back and, even with the darkness between us, I still felt his eyes on me. "You were saying his name."

Shit, I immediately thought to myself and frantically blinked my eyes. "W-What?" I tried to act dumb, but I already knew that it wouldn't be to no avail.

"You kept saying Dwight's name," he replied and I felt my heart slide down to the pit of my stomach. "You kept saying, Why, Dwight? Why what, Tess?"

"Nothing," I claimed and nearly choked-out all at once. "I don't know. Maybe I was telling him something in my dream."

I heard him take a deep breath and say, "Yeah, maybe." A moment of brief silence passed by before he leaned up, starting to get off the bed, and he grunted under his breath, "I'll let you get back to bed."

"Okay," I simply said and didn't question it. As he was making his way to the door, I asked aloud: "What did y'all do today, after I left?"

He somewhat glanced over his shoulder and grunted, "Nothing. We handled it. Your little buddy didn't die today." I laid my head back down on my pillow when I heard him add, "Goodnight, Tess."

I decided to be kind and call back, "Goodnight, Daryl."

He closed the door behind himself and, so, I turned back around and got comfortable again. I closed my eyes and surrendered to sleep once more.

 I closed my eyes and surrendered to sleep once more