9 - Jen and Avery

Jen

She had been home for over a week and only spoke to Sterling twice. They talked business, but each time Sterling tried to engage her in a discussion. He kept telling her she needed to come home to talk to him. She insisted that she couldn't discuss it. She hated thinking about her personal life. A month ago, her biggest problem was her nagging desire for a baby. Now she didn't think she would stay married. Could she continue as his business partners? That was the hundred thousand dollar question.

She was waiting for Alex at seven o'clock Monday morning. When he entered, she strolled over to him. "I'd like to talk kitchen with you."

"Good morning. Can I get my breakfast first?" he asked sharply, but she thought she saw a smirk.

He sat down with her, and she discussed her ideas. "I've got a custom cabinet maker. If you want, I can take you. We need to move on the kitchen and bathrooms to stay on schedule. You're a little late joining this project."

"I dropped everything right after Sydney asked." It was not exactly true, but almost. If Avery hadn't canceled on her, she might be in New York.

"When can we go?"

"I could go today, but I need to check in on my jobs. I'll swing back around for you in a few hours."

Jen went upstairs to wait. Her mother, who was folding clean laundry, looked up and asked if she had any washing to do.

"I'll take care of it. You don't need to,"

"I'm just glad to have you home. How long do you think you'll stay?"

"I'm not sure what my plans are. I still have a lot of work. I'm looking at kitchen cabinets today. Even when I do go back to New York, I'll have to come back here again."

"What about your husband? You must want to see him."

Could her mother notice something wasn't right with her? Did she want to see Sterling? That was a tricky question, she missed him, but not the man that deceived her. She couldn't go back to their apartment. She couldn't sleep in her bed, not with the vision that haunted her multiple times every day. She could stay with Avery, but not without explaining. She felt strongly that Sterling needed to tell Avery.

For the first time in her adult life, she didn't know what her future held. She and Sterling were partners in business. She tried to imagine working with him every day, but no longer being married. She would have to see him in that relationship. She just couldn't deal with the mess.

She responded to her mother's question. "I miss him. I talk to him though."

"You sounded upset the other day on the phone."

"I'm not sure I know what you're talking about." She lied, but she tried not to be upset when she talked with him. He annoyed her by badgering her to come home. Could she stay the duration of this project? She expected it would be a couple of months before she completed the final touches.

Alex grabbed another coffee when he appeared close to eleven. "I'm sorry. I had a few things to deal with," he said, without further explanation.

"What else are you doing?"

"I have two renos along with the house."

While they were driving her phone rang, Avery had been calling, but Jen hadn't been answering. Alex said, "You can take your call."

Not wanting to explain she was avoiding her, she answered.

"Hi, Avery."

"Jeez Jen, I never thought you'd answer. You can't keep avoiding me."