Chapter 10: Fucked Up

Beyond Our Titles (Sequel to The Alpha's Omega) [Boy\/Boy]: Chapter 10: Fucked Up

Lauren's POV

               I tossed and turned in bed, my mind reeling with the day's events. "Lauren, baby, what's wrong?" Pyro turned on his side to face me, a smile playing through his worry. 

"N-nothing." I stuttered for the first time in weeks. 

He instantly sat up, pulling me into his arms. "You can't lie to me anymore." I settled against his chest, my fingers tracing over his ivory skin. "Why are you so uneasy?" 

I was uneasy because once the whole commotion settled down and Pyro and I returned to the Grand Estate I was able to take in all of his emotions, not just his over baring cockiness but something else as well, something that made my stomach turn - hatred. It was deep within him as if that's what fueled his every thought and action. In all honesty, it scared me. What could make him so bitter, and towards what? "It's nothing, I swear." I pushed the covers away from me and slipped out of his grasp, gasping lightly at the level of frost on the stone floor. 

"Where are you going?" He quickly questioned. "Lauren?" 

I turned to my mate, his bare chest now taking on a hollow feel. "I'm just gonna take a walk - go back to bed." I slipped out the door and headed for the dressing rooms, thankful that all my clothes were there rather than in my room. 

               The night air was brutal, biting at my exposed fingertips and freezing my toes through my shoes. Winters in the Shifter District were warm and I loved it but the winters here...They killed. I quickly hiked the long road to the Grand Levi's place, not daring to open my wings in fear they too, would freeze. Pyro had spent so much time there helping his sibling overcome the death of their father; I had to see if he was okay now. 

               I hesitantly knocked on the door, my mind once again reeling with thoughts of Pyro, Jay, and the uprising. I had to stop thinking about it though because it wasn't going to solve anything...just make me sick. 

The door creaked open and a young boy stood there, accompanied by two body guards. "Sayrin?" He lightly tipped his head, his mop of sun-kissed hair falling forward gracefully. 

"You're Langley?" I questioned, taking in the current Grand Levi. He couldn't have been more than thirteen or fourteen, just a few years younger than me. 

He slightly smiled, "Yes sir, would you like to come in out of the cold?" I didn't think twice about accepting his offer and not only for the sake of my fingers and toes. 

"I didn't wake you, did I?" I asked even though he was fully clothed in a finely tailored suit. 

He dismissed the guards and led me into the library where a fire proudly glowed against the bricks. "Like my brother, I don't require much sleep." He sent me a boyish smile as he offered me a seat then took his own. 

I cleared my throat before continuing. "Speaking of your brother, has he been much of a help in your grieving process?" I hated how my tone had suddenly gone formal for this kid but growing up in the Grand Levi's household, I'm sure he was accustomed to it. 

"'Grieving process?' I bed pardon but I don't understand what you are talking about." He picked up a book off a nearby table and placed a thin slip of paper within the pages and closed it, creasing the spine to prevent further damage. 

"Pyro's been staying here with you to help you overcome the untimely death of your father..." I explained, noticing the all too obvious look of confusion playing on his young features. "...Pyro hasn't been here - has he?"