06.13.17

"Spinning?" I say, and wonder why I am on the floor, with my head elevated. I look up into worried faces, and it all comes back to me, along with a splitting headache. I turn my head sideways, and see legs folded under, supporting my head. I try to sit up, but a shooting pain enters my left temple, and I flop back down. Danny starts to stroke my hair. I close my eyes and smile.

"So. How long was I out?" 

"15 minutes," says Rick. My eyes fly open.

"Did you call anyone?"

"We called your mom to see what we should do, and she said to tell you she's sorry she can't be here. Work has her tied up."

I sigh. Of course it does. "It's fine. So am I gonna be ok?"

"She said you'll be fine. I checked out the cut and it's not that big. All you gotta do is wash out the cut and put some salve on it, and you should be fine."

"Cool. Can you drive me home?" I ask.

"Of course. You think I can hang out?"

I nod. "Help me up?"  

Danny holds my head up and moves his legs out from under me. "Ok, we're gonna go real slow, alright?" 

He helps me up slowly, grabbing my bag along the way. I rub my temples, trying to get rid of the headache. I stretch my legs and arch my feet, hearing the arches crack.

"Eww," murmurs Devin, his face scrunching up.

"What?" I ask.

"Your feet just relocated themselves, and you're asking me 'What?'"

"Fair point. Alright. We should go. See you guys later." I cling onto Danny's arm as we walk, taking slow steps to his car. 

***

I finish washing the blood out of my hair and step out of the shower. I wrap myself in a large white towel and sigh at the warmth. I dry myself off and put pajamas on. I walk into my bedroom, smiling at Danny as I sit on the bed next to him.

"I heard you singing in there," Danny says with a smile.

"Damn, I should've charged admission," I joke back.

"Cutie. So what should we do now?"

"It's 4:43. I'm gonna go start dinner, ok?"

"Wait - isn't your mom gonna make it?"

"She works the night shift this week. You good with pasta?"

"Yeah, that sounds great. I have to use the bathroom, but I'll be right out to help you."

I smile. "Thanks. Make sure you wash your hands!" I say as I walk toward the kitchen.

***

"God, Julie, how on earth did you learn to cook so well?"

"Dude, it's just lasagna."

"Just lasagna? This is like angels in my mouth right now."

I laugh. "I'm glad you like it. What time do you have to go home?"

"Nine."

"Perfect."