Climbed Up the Spout Again

The following days were a calm after the storm.

Tony had cleared his schedule completely to watch over Peter, assisting him recover in anyway he could. It was completely uncharacteristic of the man, so much so that even Jarvis questioned it.

"Sir, pray you aren't coming down with something as well?" The AI hummed, making the iron avenger roll his eyes. "Remind me to reprogram you later." Tony chided, though he himself knew that he was going soft on the kid.

Between Peter's long periods of rest, the teen would usually wake up distraught, under the impression he had to uphold his responsibilities as soon as possible...only to snap back to reality and realize his condition.

"Mr. Stark..?" A voice rasped out from the room over. It was significantly stronger than before but at the same time still recovering.

Tony was literally a door away, appearing at the spider's side within a few seconds. He smiled, ruffling the boy's sweaty bangs. "Hey, kid. What're you doing awake? The medicine should be working by now."

Peter nodded lightly, adjusting his position under the covers. "I-It did...It's just that I remembered...Aunt May-"

"-Is coming back from her trip tomorrow? I've already made the proper arraignments...but don't get used to it, I'm not a damn secretary." The avenger crossed his arms and smirked. Almost instantly, Peter's expression softened in relief.

"....H-How'd you know?"

"I reprogrammed Karen while you were out, so I won't be kept out of the loop when you're in a bad spot. She told me everything- you seem to like talking to her a lot. She's great and all, I made her, but you gotta get out there and be more social."

Peter relaxed, sinking deeper into the comforter of the guest bed he'd been recovering on for the last few days. "I know....heh....y-you're sounding more like her by the second. Don't worry about me, I'm the friendly neighborhood Spiderman, after all."

And with the weight off the boy's chest, his eyes closed and he returned to a dormant state. Tony took a seat on the edge of the bed, releasing a deep sigh.

In hindsight, he was the one that took the spider under his wing, gave him materials for the job, and the some decent advice. He knew that Peter looked up to him in every possible way, and while it flattered the billionaire, it also made him realize something during this time.

The kid brought out the best of him.

Peter's innocence, his determination. His philanthropy, genius, and kindness....in times like these it only made Tony want to strive to be a better person every day. Sure, he was a smartass and prick at times, hardheaded and even a little narrow-minded....

But Peter gave him hope. Hope not only for himself, but for his team...his city...and the world.

"You've always thanked me for helping you out. But I never got to thank you...for giving me the will to never stop climbing." The iron avenger admitted as the spider drifted off.

...As he did, the gentlest smile graced his pale cheeks.

-The End-