"Alright, hubby," I say while grabbing Ace's hand. "Let's go commit a federally sponsored crime."

~

"So this is what the 1% do in their spare time," I snicker.

"Octavia, we are on a mission here." Ace's arm wraps around my waist as we enter. "But yes, I think this is on their to-do list right above playing polo and buying yachts. Although these tech tycoons are probably more into cleaning their warby parker glasses and buying out Whole Foods."

"Touche. I bet I could steal a ring faster than you can," I challenge.

Ace's eyebrows raise. "Challenge accepted, Cupcake."

"Do you see Vega and Cho?" Daniel asks us through the earpiece. He sends us a death stare across the room for not taking this seriously.

"Ace, Octavia, twelve o'clock, three o'clock. I see them," Skye whispers.

We both split up. Ace goes to approach Mrs. Vega while I go talk to Mr. Vega. The intimidating dark haired man is currently engaged in conversation with another patron. Everything about him echoes wealth, from the glass he elegantly clutches while leaning against the bar, to the exuberant Louis Vuittons suit.

I grab a bubbly drink and head in his direction. Conveniently, I bump into him. "My goodness, excuse me," I exclaim with faux sincerity.

"Don't worry, it's been quite a long night," Mr. Vega smiles. He looks me up and down. "Have we met before?"

"I don't believe so. Chelsea Morgensen, angel investor. It's nice to meet you." My hand extends to reach his. The man Mr. Vega had previously engaged in conversation with excuses himself. That leaves just me and my target.

"I'm Nathan Vega," he introduces. The causal authority he etched into his voice and the slight tilt of his chin showed a hidden feeling of superiority. Fine, Vega—I'll play along.

"Wait, you're the Nathan Vega?" My voice hitches higher to imitate surprise. "Like the one who founded Vega Biotech?"

He grins, satisfaction practically radiating from his picture-perfect-Invisalign-advertisement teeth. "The one and only."

"It's so nice to meet you. Wait, I've already said that. So what are you doing here?"

"I'm here with my wife. We are both interested in investing in some projects tonight." Mr. Vega's eyes flicker around. When he spots his wife, his grin grows. "There she is!" He beckons his wife and Ace.

"What a coincidence. She's with my husband!" I chuckle. To try to overcompensate, my laugh comes out a little wheezy. I catch Chase face-palming at my awkward laughter out of the corner of my eye.

Mental note: it's better to not laugh than to laugh like you're suffering from asthma.

Ace and Mrs. Vega eventually come to greet us. As the couple embraces one another, Ace mouths "You're going down" at me. I stick my tounge out at him. The speaker at the front then tells us to take our seats because the expo is about to begin. Everything was going surprisingly well.

"Why don't you guys come sit with us?" Ace suggests.

"We would love that," Mrs. Vega smiles.

The table we sit at is off to the side and away from the attention. One by one, Daniel, Xavier, Chase, and Skye all take seats at our table. The speaker at the front introduces all the different company subsidiaries one by one. No one on the team pays attention to what's happening on stage; we're all too focused on the mission. I mentally review my task. First, lead Charlene Vega away to a closed area. Second, steal the ring before Ace.

Third, rub it in his face.

After all the major companies are introduced, we all break up to go visit individual stands. I take this time to lead Charlene away from her husband. "Hey Charlene, could you come with me for a second please?" I plead.

She nods and follows me to the bathroom. "Is something wrong, Chelsea?" She asks. Her voice is laced with concern.

I exaggerate a sigh. "I need some advice. I don't know we haven't met for very long, but this is urgent..." A lie formulates in my mind. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's lying and being sarcastic.

"Of course. I'll try my best. What do you need help with?"

"The truth is, my husband and I haven't been on the best of terms recently. I'm afraid... I'm afraid he's seeing other women." I emphasize a sob and throw myself on her.

Charlene looks at me with shock. She gives me a hug immediately. "I'm so sorry, talk about it with him," she consoles. "Or you know... teach him a lesson. Play some Kelly Clarkson and slash his tires, girl."

I take her hands in mine. "Noted. It's just...Last week, I found lingerie in his room that wasn't mine. He hand lipstick all over his tie, and he wouldn't respond to any of my questions. We used to be so good together."

I couldn't believe all the bullshit I was spewing. The important part is that as I was rambling, I managed to get the ring off her finger.

"Let me have some time alone," I cry. Charlene nods and leaves the bathroom.

A small smirk tugged on my lips after she leaves. Too easy. I probably got the ring before Ace too, meaning I finally beat out the arrogant professionally trained CIA spy.

"Guess who just got the ring guys," I brag through the earpiece. "Looks like I'm a better agent than you, Blackwell."

"Nice job Rookie," says Xavier's voice.

I hear Ace scoff. "Beginner's luck."

After adjusting my makeup, I push against the bathroom door. A sense of pride swelled up in me. It swelled up so much, in fact, as I turned the corner, a familiar figure stood cocking a gun at Charlene. Hauntingly innocent dark eyes were the first thing I noticed. Katrina.

"Hey Mrs. Cho," she smirks, cocking a gun. "I believe you have something that belongs to me." 

Octavia: "Vote if you hate responsibilities... and getting a gun pulled on you."