forty-nine

||CHAPTER 49||
《¤》

"I just saw an instagram story," she said.

"And I'm having pasta for dinner," I replied, with my phone pressed to my ear, "what's your point?"

"Duffer," Ishita said, "I meant as in Vansh Mehra's instagram story, where he, my friend, is sporting a pink moustache and has tagged you. I am impressed."

Internally, I was smiling because of that picure since morning, because of obvious reasons. On the outside, with Arnav sitting opposite me and Ratan Kaka serving us some Italian delicacy for dinner, my expression was quite well trained to hide the obvious.

"Well," I shrugged, "not that I like your face, but I can do that make-up free of cost for you, if you're so impressed."

"Saamne koi baitha hai kya?" She decoded, and I looked at Arnav who was busy gobbling up the pasta.

"The disgusting excuse of a brother?" I shrugged, receiving a dirty look from the person in question. "Anyways, I guess I will see you on Monday? I don't like you very much."

"Vickey, trust me, agar mere jigar me dil hota," she heaved a sigh, "Then ab taq toot chuka hota. But yeah, love you too."

I placed my phone on the table, eyeing my dinner. I had never been a fan of pasta.

"Kya hua?" Arnav had seen me grimacing.

"Kuchh nahi," I shrugged. "I just... I'm not hungry."

He shook his head, reaching over to take my plate of pasta. "Ratan kaka, fridge me aaj dopahar ki fried rice hogi. Is maharani ko garam karke dijiye na, please."

I let out a sheepish smile as Ratan kaka disappeared inside the kitchen. "Aap tho bade dildaar banne lage ho."

Pointing his fork at me, with a mouthful of pasta and white sauce dripping from the corner of his lips, he managed to say, "Just because I cannot live to witness the wastage of pasta."

I grimaced again, "Muh band karke khaya kar. You're disgusting."

And to my agony, he just did the opposite.

I rolled my eyes at him while Ratan kaka brought me my replenished dinner. "I have no idea why flocks of girls are crazy about you."

He swallowed before grinning, "Because, I am gorgeous?"

"In the book of opposites? Definitely!"

He forked the pastas aggressively, narrowing his eyes at me.

The rest of the dinner passed in silence until his phone rang. I didn't miss the way his gaze flickered between his screen and me, before he decided to receive the call. "Uhm, excuse me."

Not giving much thought into it, I finished my dinner.

¿¤?

Monday morning- excuse the ridiculous alliteration- started with the Mathematics bomb. Our Maths Sir was a bit too enthusiastic when he came to know that Mrs. Negi was absent, yet again, and jumped at the opportunity of diving into two long antagonizing hours of Permutation and Combination.