Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Edited by NutellaSandwich

NATE

It has been 3 days already and Mike still hasn’t regained his memory. Shy has been spending every day with him. At least I have the night with her. Shy hasn’t decided when she’s going to tell Mike about us. I’m feeling restless at the moment imagining Shy spending all the time with that guy. Take him out on his wheel chair to the garden, talking and laughing with him. I’m scared, with Shy helping him regain his memory, they will talk about their days together and that she might fall in love with him all over again.

“When are you going to tell him about us, Shy?” I asked her when she was getting ready to go to the hospital. I was laying on the bed. No, I didn’t follow her to the hospital anymore because I decided it’s a waste of time just waiting at the hospital without doing anything.

She came and sat beside me. “Just give him one more day Nate. They’re going to remove the bandage on his head today,” she explained.

“One more day?” I whined.

“Yes, just another day,” she said in her small voice, biting her lips and running her fingers on my cheeks trying to soothe me. We’ll tell him together tomorrow.”

“Why can’t we just tell him today? What’s the difference of one day?” I asked, showing how frustrated I felt.

She sighed, “He’s going for another MRI to check and confirm that there are no other damages to his head.” She and took a deep breath. “Please Nate, just one more day. I promise,” she continued, looking at me with sad eyes.

I heaved a loud groan “Alright, but it's got to be tomorrow. No later,” I warned.

“I promise,” she said leaning over. “I love you,” she added before giving me a full kiss.

*****

SHY

“So how was everything, doctor?” asked Mike’s father when the doctor entered the room with a big envelope in his hand; must be the scan results.

“There’s nothing to worry about, Mr Sullivan,” the doctor smiled, “Everything seems fine and normal. I think he could go home in couples of days.”

His mother hugged Mike. “Oh, such great news,” she cheered happily.

“We could bring him back to Toronto without any problems, right doctor?" he asked.

“I don’t think that should be any problem,” the doctor confirmed and excused him after the Sullivan's thanked him.

“Are you going back to Toronto immediately after Mike is discharged?” I asked Mr Sullivan, who was standing beside me.

“Yeah I think it best to take him home immediately,” he said, signalling me to follow him out. “It has been nearly a week but he still can’t remember a thing and I'm hoping he could regain his memory faster when he’s back home. There’s lot of good memories there since that's where he grew up,” he continued when we were alone.

I nodded my head in agreement with him. “When are you going back to Toronto?” he asked.

“Not so soon Mr Sullivan. I’m going to LA with my boyfriend. My parents will be there too,” I explained to him shyly.

“Hmm,” he said slowly, “Your parents already knew about both of you?” I nodded. “So when are you going to tell Michael about your boyfriend?” he asked, but his voice was soft, not at all angry with me.

“I’m going to tell him tomorrow, together with my boyfriend,” I told him, “I can’t pretend that I’m his girlfriend any longer, Mr. Sullivan. I don’t love him anymore. I’m sorry.”

He smiled, “Don’t be Shy. You deserve to be with who ever you want to be with. You can’t force yourself to love him if you don’t anymore. I’m sure Michael would understand.”

“I hope so Mr Sullivan,” I smiled back at him.

“Let’s go back in before they start to wonder where we are,” he suggested.

***

“We’ll be going home to Toronto soon, Shy. Father thinks it best we go home immediately after I’ve discharged. He hope I could regain my memory faster there,” Mike told me when we were strolling out the hospital garden.

I pushed him near a bench and sat beside him, “I think you would too, Mike. There’s a lot of memory there than here. You were brought up there,” I told him and he nodded.

“Yeah, that’s what my parent told me,” he smiled sweetly at me. “One thing I know for sure, it was where we met.”

“Yeah,” I nodded and chuckled when I remembered the time when everyone in school knew about us, “Everyone in school was surprised to see us together. They thought you would end up with Jess.”

“Huh?” he asked surprised.

“Jess, Jessica Mc Naught,” trying to make him remember her, “She’s was the school cheerleaders and everyone knew she’s in love with you and trying her best to get your attention.”

“Really?’ he queried scratching his head. “I guess she didn’t succeed because we still together. Am I right?”

I laughed, “No, she didn’t. I did wonder where she is now. I didn’t even know which college she went to. She kept it a secret.” biting my lips suddenly started to think about Jessica. Blond hair, beautiful I should say but a spoil rich bitch. Always get what she wanted except Mike, of course.

“Wherever she is, let’s just forget about her. Good thing she’s gone now and you don’t have to worry about her trying to snatch me away from you,” he chuckled.

“Yeah,” I laughed with him and suddenly he was facing me.

“I love your laughed,” he said looking directly into my eyes. I looked down at my hand feeling uncomfortable with his stare. I don’t know why but I don’t like the way he look at me. It’s not the same way when Nate look directly at me, it was full of love and tender, but Mike looks was….. I don’t know how to describe it.

He puts in hand under my chin making me look at him and bring his face closer to me, “You are so beautiful,” he whispered before I knew it , crushed his lips on mine. I was so shocked and my eyes were wide open looking at him whose eyes were closed.

I immediate pushed him away. No, I’m not going to let him kiss me. He looked at me with shocking eyes and hurt, “What’s wrong Shy?” he asked softly. “Twice you pushed me away. Why?”

“I’m sorry, it just that I didn’t want to hurt you,” I responded, “You still not that well.” I immediately got up from the bench and went behind his wheel chair, “I think I best take you back to your room. I just remember, I need to go somewhere,” and pushed him to back to the ward without a word.

*****

NATE

Damn it. I knew. I knew they would kiss. I can’t believe my eyes when I saw them kissing. Shit. It hurt like hell. But who am I to be angry. Mike has all the right to kiss her, he still her boyfriend. They haven’t break up yet. He didn’t even know about. So who am I to be angry with her? 

She said she loves me and not him, but it looks like that she still love him. Well I don’t blame her. First love is always hard to forget. Don’t they always say that? Maybe she’s confuse, don’t know whom to choose. Maybe I should just leave and let her made up her own decision.