Stepping into Rain's world

Rain

I got up and did my routine. I also smiled. Last night was so fresh and fun. I came downstairs to the kitchen to find Antonio waiting for me. I smiled big.

"What are you doing here?" I asked excitedly.

"I wanted to have breakfast with you," he said sweetly. I walked over and hugged him.

"Hey! What about my hug?" Dad asked as he walked into the kitchen.

"Oh, right," I said as I stopped hugging Antonio and hugged Dad. He tapped his cheek, and I kissed him.

"That is better, Rain. Waffles or pancakes?" Dad asked me as he took out a bowl.

"Waffles. Can you use the waffle maker with four instead of the big one? You know I don't like the big one," I said to him.

"Yep, I do, because you remind me every Sunday since you were five," he said as I sat down with Antonio.

Mom came in and kissed Dad. I watched them and thought, that's what I'm supposed to do. I leaned over to kiss Antonio, and he pulled back. I looked at him, confused.

"Not here," he said as I sat there even more confused. I looked at my parents, who kissed again and tried again with Antonio, but he stopped me. "Rain, I said no."

They stopped and looked at me as I furrowed my brows.

"I changed my mind. I will spend time with my friends," I said, getting up and going to my room.

"What was that about?" Dad asked him.

"She tried to kiss me twice. I think she thought because we kissed last night that we would kiss again," he sighed.

Dad looked at him, "Antonio, you can't act one way then turn around and act another way. It doesn't work with Rain. If you want to be a part of her world, follow her lead."

Antonio looked at Dad and nodded.

I laid on my floor and looked at Twilight Sparkle; Then I went to see the real Twilight Sparkle. I put on my shoes and coat, then left my room. I walked down the stairs and to the door. I opened and closed it before anyone knew I went.

I didn't know how to drive, so I walked. I walked to the stables. I looked around but didn't see anyone, so I made my way inside to see Twilight Sparkle. She was standing there. I walked over to her, and she pushed her head towards me.

I started petting her. As I stroked her mane, I just stayed there. She understood me. She wouldn't reject me. At one point, I went into her stall and sat down. I rocked as she turned and bowed her head.

"You like me right, Twilight Sparkle?" I asked her.

She moved her head.

"You're my friend. Antonio isn't my friend. He doesn't like me. But you like me. I wish I could take you home just like my other Twilight Sparkle. I will stay here with you, okay?" I asked Twilight Sparkle.

She blew a breath as I smiled.

"I will stay. I'm just going to stay right here," I said as I wrapped my arms around my knees. I have a friend who won't reject me. That's all I need.

Antonio

I felt terrible for telling Rain no. I had a feeling she was emulating her parents. I want to take things slow with her. I went to talk to her. I knocked on her door. "Rain? It's Antonio. I'm coming in." Yeah, I didn't want to get more than I bargained with her.

I opened the door and didn't see her, but I didn't see her, shit. I ran downstairs and into the kitchen. "Rain's gone," I said.

"What?" Her dad asked as her mom looked at me.

"I went upstairs to talk to her and found her room empty," I blurted. There was nothing said after that. We all left after Colton called her brothers downstairs.

We drove all over the place, looking for her. Rain, where are you? Then I thought about it, that's when it hit me. What is the one thing she loves more than anything? Rain loves My Little Ponies.

I drove to the stables and got out. I looked around; then, I found Rain. She was asleep in one stall, oh, Rain.

I walked over and gently shook her.

She rubbed her eyes and looked at me. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you," I told her.

"Why?"

"Because you worried me. I went to talk to you, and you left. You leaving worried your family, too," I explained.

"I'm here with my friend. She won't reject me," she told me.

"Rain, I didn't reject you. I want to take things slow, so you don't get scared," I reassured her.

"But you told me no," she furrowed her brows at me.

"Because you didn't listen. Sometimes you have to listen to the other person. I get you saw your parents kiss, but this is different with us," I reasoned.

"How so? You kissed me last night," she said.

"Because it was the right moment. Trust me, I want to kiss you, but I also want to take it slow with you. I get you're angry, but you can't run off every time you don't get your way. You worry people like your parents, brothers and me. That upsets people. Understand?" I asked in a calm voice.

"Yes, I'm sorry," she said, playing with her coat.

"We need to call your parents and tell them you're okay. Rain, the last thing we need is for them worried and upset with you," I explained. She nodded as we called her parents.

After we finished talking to them, I took her home. Her parents were angry but relieved. She also got grounded. She wasn't happy, but as her dad explained, it was a consequence of her action.

Not only did they ground her, but they took her My Little Ponies as punishment.

The way her dad explained it, even though she has autism, still needs disciplining for doing something wrong. Running off and not telling anyone wasn't just wrong, but dangerous. Anything could have happened to her, but luckily it didn't.

I told her before leaving that when her grounding ended, we would spend time together. I couldn't overstep her parents. It wasn't my place.