Four

Chapter's song: Matt Simons - Catch & Release

The next morning, Dad's blue eyes watched me concerned as we ate breakfast at the kitchen counter. I was having a small bowl of cereal and a banana for his sake. I still wasn't hungry and I was sleepy all the time. I literally had to drag myself around my room to get ready.

"How was your appointment? Did you like her?"

Nonchalantly, I lifted my shoulders in a vague way as I ate my banana. "She's okay" I said after I finished.

"Huh," Dad looked dubious. "I invited Marie for dinner this week." He shook his head, "Well she's actually bringing the dinner, but we're having it here; isn't that nice of her?"

Wariness engulfed me. Dad seemed, nervous? My scalp prickled with uneasy feelings and I tried to dismiss them. Still, something seemed fishy here.

"Yeah" I said trying to sound indifferently.

Dad's shoulders sagged. "I think so too."

We finished the rest of breakfast in silence and Dad drove me to school once again. The uneasiness was still with me when I walked to my locker but I forgot about it when I saw Farah bouncing up and down at my sight. Her cheeriness made me smile for a moment. She stopped bouncing and smiled at me widely.

"Hi!" she kept beaming, "I've got to tell you something!" I greeted her and grabbed my biology book as she kept talking. "I got detention yesterday, don't ask" she stared at me pointedly as I frowned at her words, "anyway, I walk inside the d-room and I found myself swooning at the most handsome guys of the school! There was this particular guy who was just drool-worthy, I mean, seriously hot and well I obviously had to sit next to him" her eyes looked dreamy while telling me this, "and you know what? He actually talked to me! me! He told me where he hangs out with his friends at lunch and we are so going!"

We had reached our classroom by now. As we took our seats, worriedness washed over me. "Does he has a name?" A dreamy breath left her mouth as she gazed at the distance. "Farah?" I slumped on my seat. "You know; I really do want to know what you did to land in detention?"

She rolled her eyes. "I was late for Spanish." I raised an eyebrow, "for the third time this week."

"How can you be late for Spanish? Mr. Gomez is like the nicest man ever." She pressed her lips together as I added, "and meeting a guy in detention seems weird. He's obviously a troublemaker."

She made a face at me. "He's hot, okay? And you shouldn't be prejudiced, Cass!"

I shouldn't be. Especially me.

Furrowing my brows, I looked at her, "Did he actually ask you to come?"

Farah rolled her eyes and voiced in a duh kind of tone, "he didn't have to." Grinning once again, she leaned closer to my desk. "This is the first time we're having an actual conversation, Cass." Her tone was excited and I couldn't but feel bad about it. Because it was the first time I asked questions and such.