By participating in the National Geographic Planet or Plastic Contest ("Contest"), each entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of National Geographic ("Prize Provider") and Wattpad Technology Inc. ("Sponsor"), which are final and binding in all matters.
1. HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
To participate in the Contest, you must submit your entry of a short story inspired by the National Geographic Planet or Plastic Prompt through Wattpad.com ("Website") during the period beginning at 9:00 am PT on October 9, 2018 through 11:59 pm PT on December 30, 2018 ("Entry Period"). Visit the National Geographic profile Wattpad.com/user/NationalGeographic (the "Contest Profile") and follow the instructions provided ("Instructions") on how to submit your short story inspired by the National Geographic Planet or Plastic Prompt (each, an "Entry"). All Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. PT on December 30, 2018 to be eligible. Eligible entrants may enter as many times as they wish (with unique Entries) during the Entry Period. If you do not already have a Website account, you will be required to create one in order to enter. Creating an account is free as of the publication of these Official Rules. All Website terms and conditions apply. Accounts or Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means will be void. Website's clock will be the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
All Eligible Entries must meet the following criteria:
Eligible entries must be in English, original and may not exceed 500 words in length, as reflected in the Wattpad desktop experience. Each entrant must have all rights necessary to post and submit his/her Entry. Entries must not infringe on the intellectual property or other rights of any third party. It is each entrant's responsibility to ensure that he/she has all necessary rights to submit the Entry (with the exception of any rights associated with Prize Provider) and to grant Sponsor and Prize Provider the rights described in these Official Rules.
Entry (or any fictional story that is, in the opinion of the Sponsor, substantially similar to the Entry) must not have been submitted to any other contest, or previously published. Entries must be submitted through your Website account in the manner specified on the Contest Profile. Entries must comply with all Instructions specified on the National Geographic Profile (incorporated herein by reference). Entries must not contain identifying information (e.g. names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses or mailing addresses) of any real person, including entrant. Entries must not contain material that is obscene, lewd, disparaging, defamatory, libelous, threatening, pornographic, sexually explicit, racially or ethnically offensive, or that otherwise contains inappropriate content or objectionable material as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, or that encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or violate any law. Entries must be appropriate for viewing by the general public; appropriateness will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
· Entries must not disparage the goodwill and business reputation of Prize Provider or any of its content licensors.
· Entries must be relevant to the Contest theme.
· Entries must be tagged #PlanetOrPlastic to be considered.
Sponsor reserves the right to reject any Entry for any reason.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Open to all members of the Wattpad community who are at least 13 years of age. By participating in the Contest and using the Website, Entrants (or Entrant's parent/guardian, if Entrant is under 18 years of age) agree to the terms and conditions of Sponsor's Terms of Service, a copy of which can be found on the Website. Employees, officers and directors of Sponsor, Prize Provider and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies, and their immediate family members (spouse and parents, children, siblings and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and those living in their same households, whether or not related, are not eligible to participate in the Contest. Contest is void where prohibited. All applicable federal, state and local laws apply.
YOU ARE READING
#PlanetOrPlastic Writing ContestNon-Fiction
Wattpad has teamed up with National Geographic to wake the world up to the potential impact of single-use plastics. In 500 words or less, we're asking you to share a story-real or fiction-inspired by actual photos of this global issue.