α

James looked around the room. Everyone was wearing beautiful suits and dresses that he was sure cost hundred thousands, maybe millions.

Everyone was smiling, pretending they were happy for the celebrants when in fact, everything is just for show.

This was the world he lived in.

He was used to it. Used to the games, used to the indifference and the insincerity.

But that doesn't mean he enjoys it.

He sighed and looked at his watch once more. He couldn't wait to leave this party.

He looked to the front to see his older brother, Dennis, with his bride.

His brother suddenly looked his way and James looked away.

He was well aware he wasn't even wanted here.

He was well aware his brother hates him. The only reason he was invited was for appearances' sake. Dennis wants people to think that he was a kind older brother and their family was whole and perfect.

But it wasn't. It never had been. He was never even considered part of that family.

After the toast, James had a chance to at least go outside the room.

He was a bit startled to see his friend (probably his only friend), and confidant, Nathan waiting for him there.

"What are you doing here?" He asked as he approached him.

"Hey, boss." Nathan greeted. "Just thought you're probably dying of boredom by now."

James shook his head at him. "Don't call me boss..." He said.

"What? You are my boss." Nathan said, grinning. "Anyway, I thought you'd like some company so..."

Nathan opened the door that leads to the garden and in came a Giant Rottweiler, wagging its tail as it goes straight to James.

"Sebbie..." James said, crouching down to pet his dog.

James didn't smile. He hadn't smiled in a long time, but Nathan saw that some of the tension in his body seems to have disappeared. Nathan smiled to himself, happy to help his friend even just a little.

"I'll wait for you in the car. Escape as soon as you can." Nathan told James. He didn't really like being in that house, either.

"Thanks." James said.

For a while, James just stayed there and pet Sebbie. But when the big dog grew a little restless, they moved to the gardens, with Sebbie running around and James just watching him.

And then Sebbie started playing around the bushes, disappearing from James's view. He just let his dog be, while he let his mind wander.

He was brought back to the present when he heard a scream.

He hastily went to look and saw Sebbie jump on someone.

"Sebbie!" He scolded and moved quickly to help whoever it was. Sebbie wasn't an aggressive dog, but he isn't aware how big he had gotten and how heavy he is.

But then he heard giggling. He pulled Sebbie away from the girl and with a jolt, he realized who it was.

Nadine Lustre.

His brother's bride's daughter.

"Sorry." He said hastily, and helped her stand up.

"No, it's okay." Nadine said, still laughing. "Is he yours? He's so adorable!" She said while ruffling Sebbie's ears. The dog obviously loved the attention.