Surprise doesn't even cover it

Rain

I woke up and did my daily routine. Today was Saturday, so there's no school. I needed a break. Everything had been overwhelming this past week. It made me overstressed, which is never good.

For me to relieve stress, I resorted to what made me feel better. It's a coping mechanism.

Antonio

I did what Mr. Hardwick suggested and found something that would help Rainbow. I had done some reading regarding therapy animals; Especially horses.

I knocked on the door, and it opened as Mr. and Mrs. Hardwick greeted me.

"Hi, Antonio, come in," he offered. I stepped inside.

"Is she ready?" I asked.

"Yeah, you can go get her," he said to me.

"It's the second door on your left," her mom directed me as I went up to the stairs.

I found the door and opened it to get surprised by my own. Rainbow was pleasuring herself and moaning. What the hell?

I quickly closed the door and ran downstairs. Rain's parents looked at me, bewildered.

"Antonio? Are you okay? You look like you just saw a ghost," her mom said to me.

"Well, uh, I opened her door and well, uh," I stammered.

"Did you knock first?" Her mom asked me.

"No, was I supposed to?" I asked her.

"Christ," her dad sighed as he facepalmed himself.

"Does she do that a lot?" I asked them.

"Only when she's stressed. It hasn't been as frequent," she sighed.

"Only when she's majorly stressed," he told me. "And this week has been completely out of whack with her. We don't make a big deal about it. When her door's closed, we know what is happening and leave her alone. When it's open, which is mostly, we know she isn't doing that," he explained.

"The thing is, Rain doesn't understand the sexual nature of it. She only knows it makes her feel good. We had to work with her to do things more socially acceptable. So we would appreciate it if you said nothing," her mom advised me.

"I see," I said, not knowing what to say. I mean, it's hard to walk in on a female giving herself pleasure without getting turned on; Being a teenage guy and all. I had to stop thinking inappropriately with her.

A few minutes later, Rainbow came down and looked at us funny.

"What's he doing here?" She asked, looking unhappy that I was in their living room.

"Rain, Antonio is here to take you somewhere," her dad answered.

"Where?"

"I wanted to take you to a place that has horses. Your dad suggested it," I said to her.

She looked at them as her dad nodded, and she said, "Okay." There's no arguing, no fighting, no meltdown, just an okay.

She put her jacket on and opened the door, walking outside. I stood there as I heard the car horn beep.

"Yeah, we might have forgotten to tell you that Rain is a little impatient," her dad said. Now, they tell me.

I left and went out to the car. I got inside, and she buckled herself in and waited.

"You're slow," she said.

"What?"

"You move like a snail, which makes you slow. I thought people that play sports are fast. You took forever to come out here," she said directly at me. Note to self, don't be slow.

"Sorry, I'll try to be faster the next time," I said, starting the car. I pulled out of the driveway and drove to the place that kept therapy horses. This day should be enjoyable.

Rain

The car ride to the place Antonio was taking me was pleasant. It wasn't too hot or too cold. The music wasn't obnoxious.

We pulled into a parking lot and got out of the car. I followed Antonio as we walked into the stables with a woman meeting us.

"Are you Mrs. Abernathy?" He asked.

"Yes, you must be Antonio and Rainbow. Colton told me to expect you," she smiled at us, so I smiled back. I had to watch people's expressions to understand the cues.

She led us to a horse, and I stared at it.

"I know it's not My Little Pony, but this is Rainbow Dash," she said with a smile. A smile formed on my lips. She led us to each horse, "This is Twilight Sparkle, Pinky Pie, Rarity, AppleJack, and Fluttershy. We named them after My Little Pony because we found children with Autism relate better to them," she explained. She looked at me. "Rainbow, these are therapy horses. They won't hurt you. They are here to help. You can go to any of them, and they're gentle," she suggested.

"Can I pet one?" I asked the woman.

"You can pet anyone you want," she said kindly. I liked her. She was nice. I walked over to Pinky Pie, and she lowered her head as I ran my hand over her mane. She nudged me, and I giggled as I stroked her hair.

Next, I went to Rainbow Dash, and she did the same. With each horse, they lowered their heads, and I cried.

Antonio walked over to me. "Rainbow? Are you okay?"

"It has a real-life My Little Pony. This experience makes me happy." I wiped my eyes. He smiled as I went back to the horses.

He walked over to the woman. "What's the deal with therapy animals and people with autism?"

"There has been a lot of research done with therapy animals and people with autism. They found that it calms them from being anxious. They're gentle and kind, which people tend not to be. They don't judge. Don't call names. They offer unconditional love, which people with autism and other issues need. Animals can sense emotions deeper than people do, and someone with autism can't always express themselves," she explained to him.

"There's so much I'm learning about autism," he sighed.

"Well, imagine how it is with someone with autism. People with autism are learning every day. They work harder than most people. The simplest tasks are difficult, and when they can do them, it's a celebration. They refer to it as milestones. Things that people take for granted are an accomplishment for someone with autism," she told him.

He turned and watched me with the horses. I was talking to them like I would if they were a person. They shook their heads as I laughed.

Mrs. Abernathy looked at Antonio. "If you want to understand Rainbow, enter her world. Don't force her into yours," she advised him.

He nodded as he walked over to me. I turned to him, "Aren't they great?"

"They're amazing," he smiled. I smiled back.

We talked to them together. I looked at the horses and said, "Everyone, this is Antonio, my friend. Antonio, these are my new friends."

I showed him how to pet them and what not to do. He seemed to understand. That was a relief. He followed instructions, which was good. I think he and I could be friends now. I think he finally understands. It took him long enough.