Chapter 64

"It felt like we'd been plunged into a jar of stirred liquid, racing with particles: gentlemen, ladies, laborers, soldiers, street kids and beggars all rushing purposefully in every direction." {Jacob Portman, pg 215 book 2}

They were instantly struck by the chaos of the city, luckily Enoch had spent his formative years in London and claimed to still know its streets. He led them through alleyways and back lanes, sticking to the safety of the shadows.

"Those people were nasty." Millard said, referring to the adults back at the train. He'd thrown away his scarf and gloves and lowered the hood of his jacket, his sunglasses peeking out of the top of the breastpocket. "But they got what they deserved! I'll never forget that man's face when Bronwyn stuffed him into the phone box!"

"Or that horrible woman when she got stung in the bum by a bee!" Enoch added, "I'd pay money to see that again."

"Hugh? You alright?" Jacob asked and they turned to see him sitting on the ground, his elbows resting on his knees staring into the dirt.

"No one gives a whit." He spat, "Don't bother checking on old Hugh, he's just here to save everyone's hindquarters with no word of thanks from anybody!" he said angrily but they could hear the trembling in his voice as he was also trying to hold back tears.

"Sorry Hugh."

"Thanks again Hugh."

"You're our man in a pinch Hugh."

Then he turned to them, "They were my friends, you know."

"We still are!" Bronwyn said.

"Not you – my bees! They can only sting once, and then it's light out, the big hive in the sky. And now I've only got Henry left, and he can't fly cause he's missing a wing." He put out his hand and slowly opened his fingers. In his palm was Henry, waving his only wing at us. "C'mon mate." Hugh whispered, "Time to go home." He stuck out his tongue, set the bee upon it and closed his mouth.

Enoch knelt down by him and patted his shoulder, "I'd bring them back to life for you, but I'm not sure it would work on creatures so small."

"Thanks anyway." Hugh said clearing his throat and wiping his cheeks.

"We'll find you more just as soon as we get Miss Peregrine fixed up." Olive told him.

"Speaking of which." Enoch began turning to Emma, "Did you manage to get through to any ymbrynes on that phone?"

"Not a one." She replied.

"Then it seems the dog was correct. The great loops of London have fallen to our enemies." Horace said bowing his head solemnly.

"In that case, Millard, you'd better tell us all you know about the punishment loops. If that's where the ymbrynes are, we're going to have to stage a rescue." Enoch said.

"No." Millard said, "No, no, no."

"What do you mean no?" Emma asked.

Millard made a strangled noise in his throat and started breathing weirdly.

"Millard?" Aurora asked looking at him concerned.

"What's wrong with him?" Bronwyn asked, "Mill, what's the matter?"

"You'd better explain right now what you mean by 'no'." Emma said threateningly.

"Leave him alone." Aurora defended him, "Millard?" she asked turning to him and grabbing his arm gently.

"We'll die that's why!" Millard said his voice breaking.

"But back at the menagerie you made it sound so easy." Jake said, "Like we could just waltz into a punishment loop. . . "