Chapter 4

You'd don't belong, son of Hades. You don't belong anywhere.

Nico, shut up! This is not your stupid Mythomagic game, okay? There are no gods!

Yes, boy. You see, Bianca di Angelo is not the only one with

an annoying brother. It's time for you to meet my irresponsible twin, Apollo.

Who wants us? Because if you think you'll get a ransom, you're wrong. We don't have any family. Nico and I- We've got no one but each other.

Come inside for cake and ice cream, it sounds like we've got a lot to talk about.

Um, no. Can't you just, like, tell it to open? You're the son of Hades and all.

You know what would help this boy? Farming.

Son of Hades. Do you love death so much you wish to experience it?

My children are so rarely happy. I'd like for you to be an exception.

Child of Hades, what more could I do to you? You are perfect! So much sorrow and pain!

You will suffer, son of Hades!

Poor Nico di Angelo. Do you know what you want, much less what I want? My beloved Psyche risked everything in the name of Love. It was the only way for her to atone for her lack of faith. And you- what have you risked in my name?

I scare you very, very much. Face me. Be honest.

Oh, I wouldn't say Love always makes you happy. Sometimes it makes you incredibly sad. But at least you've faced it now. That's the only way to conquer me.

Still hiding. You do not have the strength.

Nico, it's okay. I get it.

And so you run away again. From your friends, from yourself.

You were jealous of her. That's why you didn't want to be around her. Especially why you don't want to be around... him. It makes total sense.

Nobody at Camp Half-Blood ever pushed you away. You have friends - or at least people who would like to be your friend. You pushed yourself away. If you'd get your head out of that brooding cloud of yours for once -

Yeah, okay. But, Nico, you do choose how to live your life. You want to trust somebody? Maybe take a risk that I'm really your friend and I'll accept you. It's better than hiding.

Nico, I've seen a lot of brave things. But what you just did? That was maybe the bravest.

He means he can't control a whole legion. He's not of high enough rank.

You have a zombie chauffeur.

That's - that's fantastic! Dude! Right. No touching. Sorry.

I'm not your type ... Wait. So -

You can't help out a friend? Maybe cut bandages? Bring me a soda or a snack? Or just a simple How's it going, Will? You don't think I could stand to see a friendly face?

Good. So you may be dense, but you're not an idiot.

Right now you couldn't summon a wishbone without melting into a puddle of darkness, di Angelo. I told you, no more Underworldy stuff, doctor's orders. You owe me at least three days of rest in the infirmary. Starting now.

Nico, shouldn't you be sitting at the Hades table?

I'm his doctor.

Nico slowly opened his eyes, his head swarming with thoughts as his vision kicked back in. He could see the ceiling above him, could smell different potions. As he began to ground himself back into reality, he still couldn't get those voices out of his head.

Where had they come from? Some of the voices were so familiar, so loving. He could almost picture their owners. But their faces were blurred, were long lost behind a veil in his mind. Yet for the first time, they seemed real.

Remember who you are, son of Hades. The voice came again, causing him to jump in surprise. He looked around, saw that the infirmary was empty beside him. Remember your morals, remember who you were destined to be.

"Who are you?" Nico muttered the question to himself, closed his eyes in hopes to hear the voice again. But it never came.

Bianca di Angelo... Hades, Hades... Nico di Angelo...Psyche...Will... The names swarmed in his brain, nagged at his thoughts as he tried to relax into the pillows. Nico di Angelo...had that been his original name? He could hardly remember.

"Nico!" Ron strolled into the room with Harry close behind him. "You're finally awake. You've been out for a couple days."

Nico's eyes widened. "Days?"

Harry nodded. "Professor Dumbledore said not to worry. Apparently, the hat had to do it to see into your memories to sort you."

Nico thought back to the voices that had plagued him. "Oh..."

"I brought your schedule down." Ron handed him the piece of paper. "And mum sent over some sweets. She's really worried."

"I don't understand why." Nico's eyes flicked over his schedule. "What house am I in? Did the stupid hat say?"

Ron shared a look with Harry. "Hufflepuff, I think."

"You think?"

"Hufflepuff." Harry clarified. "Dumbledore told us so."

Nico groaned. "Why? Why that house? I'm not loyal."

"The hat thought you were." Ron handed him the box of candy. "This is the sweets from mum... We should go."

"Yeah, okay." Nico looked down at the box. "I... I have to rest up anyway. I'll see you tomorrow."

Tomorrow. Yet before that day hit, Nico was positive about one thing.

He was going to figure out what the hell those voices meant.