forty-eight

||CHAPTER 48||
《¤》

What I hadn't anticipated was, Vansh Mehra getting up from his seat and striding towards our table.

"Holy moly, macaroni!!" Ishita squealed, squeezing my elbow. "He is coming this way! What's it gonna be? A quick shag between the shelves?"

My trance was broken the moment those words came out of Ishita's mouth. "What did you just say? No- don't repeat it!"

"It's alright Vickey, I understand," she trailed off, looking into her book and clearing her throat.

"Would you mind showing me your favourite book Arvika? The one you were reading that day?"

Vansh was standing beside me, so I turned, facing him. He did have lame excuses. "It's not in the library right now. Someone might have issued it."

Vansh raised an eyebrow at Karan when he snickered at my reply. Due to the lack of excuses, Vansh thought better of it, and grabbed the book in front of me, "Chalo."

I gave the others an apologetic smile before rising up and following the guy about whom Ishita and I had gossiped about the evening before.

He had chosen the row between shelves of R.D. Sharmas and H.C. Vermas. "Khaled Housseini writes books that play with our emotions, not kill them."

He gave me a blank look when he turned around, fingers toying with the cover of a thick white mathematics book. "Good, but you and I both know that's not what I brought you here for."

The small smile that he ended his sentence with made me hyperaware of the way my heart was beating. Before I could come up with a reply that made sense, he turned to me with a very heavy book, and stepped closer.

I couldn't decode his eyes, even though they were very expressive. "Why are you beating around the bush?"

He leaned in, and I didn't move back. I was rooted to my position; I wasn't going to let him affect my senses, even though I was failing miserably. As if challenging my thoughts, I felt his breath on the shell of my ear.

I could literally feel the pump-softness of his lips brushing against my right cheek as he spoke, "You always keep figuring me out wrong. We've got stuff to discuss. I'd be over for dinner."

He didn't move back, just simply strode off, without even sparing a glance my way. I could imagine the smirk adorning his face, as he smugly joined Arnav and Karan at their table.

Unbuttoning my blazer, I removed it, and walked back to my seat, being greeted by raised eyebrows and grins that I'd love to slap off their faces.

"Kya hua? First base, second ya third?" Ishita whispered, very excited.

I bit the inside of my cheek, before looking at her seriously.

"I just realised," I said, "that I could probably write a book about my failed attempts at figuring out Vansh Mehra."

¿¤?

"Aur fir, usne bola-"

"KHUL JAA SIMSIM!!"

I frowned at him irritably, not that my dear cousin Mikhael was paying any attention to me from Daadi's right side.

"Nahi," I snapped, "Woh Ali Baba Chalees Chor me hota hai!"