CHAPTER THIRTEEN: Dirty Little Secret

(Time Skip)

Once we made it back to the station-- we checked in the guy, Ian Duncan,  into the system. He's been here before--he was driving behind the wheel, very high out of his mind. The smell stuck to his clothes-- it was very loud and everyone else caught a whiff of it. Now at my desk--my tired eyes haven't blinked from looking at the screen.My fingers typed away on my computer keyboard, hearing the loud keys tap with each letter pressing down. My hands pause-- hovering above the keyboard, I should be getting some reports done but I can't focus anymore. I need a break. My shoulder felt slightly sore. My eyes look away from the screen seeing Lucas at his desk. I should go talk to him-- he seemed upset at me earlier. 

I scooted away from my desk, standing to my feet and pushing in my chair. I head on over to his desk-- he heard me coming, once I was hovering looking over-- he slams a small black metal box, locking it shut. My eyebrow twitched at the sight of it. 

(Lucas)- " (Y/n), hey." He starts to put away the metal box in his desk drawer, locking it up with his keys. I don't know what that is but it's not my business. 

(Lucas)- " Your the person I wanted to see" he gets up from his desk and sits at a corner.

(Y/n)- " I thought you were mad at me earlier?"

(Lucas)- " I was-- going after the runner like that... but you amazed me when you rolled back to your feet with your gun in your hand. Cops don't usually have fast reactions" His neck twitched with his brow raised. 

(Y/n)- "Your point being?"

(Lucas)- " You have some kind of military background I should know about?" I grin at him, its sort of funny-- he thinks I have a military background.Which I don't but I like how it looks like I do.

(Y/n)- " I don't. A friend of mine-- He's in the BSAA, He trains me himself."The thought of Chris bring a smile to my lips, I hope he's doing okay. It's been a while since we last spoke. 

(Lucas)- " Whoa, that's impressive. Pfft....and you tell me there's nothing interesting about you" he scoffs playfully shoving my shoulder.

(Lucas)- " Maybe we can train together--against each other. Good training exercise." 

(Y/n)- "Yeah, sure." Maybe that way I can defeat an opponent instead of training on my own, Chris is going to be impressed when he returns.

(Tanner)- " (Y/n)" he calls me over back to my desk. I nodded his way and head over to him. Tanner's expression seemed...normal for once. He was relaxed and easy-- less stressed. 

(Y/n)- " Tanner" I whispered his name.

(Tanner)- " Can I speak to you for a moment?"

(Y/n)- " What's going on?" I say as he gently grabbed my upper arm and leading us to a quiet corner for us to speak.

(Tanner)- " I see you and Everett are getting along"

(Y/n)- " Yeah-- he's fitting in just fine."

(Tanner)- " That's not what I was getting at" he shows a hidden smirk. Oh no-- not him too. Why does everyone care about my personal life? 

(Y/n)- " I didn't think my Ex would be curious about my relationship status" I cross my arms over my chest, sorta hard to do with the police vest. I raise an eyebrow at Tanner. 

(Tanner)- "I'm just looking out for you. Plus He's a good looking guy with great hair and a good background." he shrugs nonchalantly. I continue to give him a raised eyebrow. 

(Tanner)- "Hey-- you deserve a good guy" his words brought a slight stab to my chest. My mind immediately thinks of one person, but I shoo it away as quickly as I can before I dwell in it for too long.

(Y/n)- " You really think-- Lucas and I? "

(Tanner)- " You guys seem to be hitting it off." My head does a single nod. I mean-- He's not that bad of a guy. Everyone here is almost head over heels for him-- but Lucas isn't giving them a second look. I get this feeling maybe he's taking a second look towards me, but I could be just imagining it. He asked me to go to the work party as partners, nothing more to that. 

(Tanner)-"How's your hand by the way?" I look down at my hand, it was still rough around the edges. A little discolored-- but it looks like it'll heal up soon. 

(Y/n)- " Doing well--" a cough creeped up on me.I covered my mouth-- feeling the sharp pain in my throat again. I feel eyes make their way to me-- even Lucas's who's eyes seemed concerned. I look away bringing them up to Tanner's tall frame. 

(Tanner)- " You okay? Need some water?"

(Y/n)-  "N-No-- I-I'll be fine" My throat was dry and raspy, I wave my  hand and lightly tapping my chest to make it stop. 

(Tanner)- " Okay... Hey-- the main reason I pulled you aside...are you planning to go to the annual--" 

(Y/n)- "The annual party thing-- Yeah, you told me about it. I wasn't planning to go but Lucas talked me into going"  Honestly, I don't remember what the annual thing is-- I looked at my work email but there was so much reading that I just skimmed it. 

(Tanner)- " He did, did he?" he winks and nudges my arm. 

(Y/n)- "We're going as partners. Friends-- as you can say" Can't believe Tanner is becoming one of them..like Morgan and Niko-- thinking Lucas and I should act on one another. 

(Tanner)- " If you say so. The event is soon, so I hope I'll see you there-- it's going to be great" How does he know it's going to be great. Work parties are never great...besides the free food. 

(Y/n)- "Who picked the 80's theme?" That still boggles my mind. 

(Tanner)- " It was anonymous-- but it should be fun. I gotta get back to my desk. hey-- don't forget about that Collins Case reports. I need them in about thirty minutes." He says heading back to his office. 

(Y/n)- " Got it boss" I say waving a hand seeing him go. My eyes couldn't help but head over to Lucas's direction. He was glancing back at me-- his lips form a small grin before he starts to head  out somewhere else in the station. I start to back to my desk, pulling out my chair and planting my bottom to the cushion.

My throat swallows saliva-- feeling the pain again. Damn it-- maybe I am getting sick.