Chapter Three

The first few chapters of this story were prewritten. They've been in my archives for months now and they're finally seeing the light of day!

Hopefully you're enjoying the read so far. It gets better, I promise! Chapter 4 is coming up in a few days.

When the final bell rings for the day, the hallways turn into pure pandemonium. There is always so much going on from people on top of the lockers, jumping off lockers, backflipping down the hall, I don't know. It's ridiculous but the point is it's a challenge every time you want to find your way to anywhere at this hour!

By the time I get to the office, I look like I just ran fifteen miles but really, I've just been shoved and groped for 15 minutes. I just can't wait to get out of this school, and this town. It's a beautiful place to grow up in; very serene despite being close to the city, but it's too true to its name; "Old Town". I feel like we're on a little island, detached from the civilisation. Well, that's exaggerating a bit but that's how I feel about this place.

Nothing ever changes. The places I used to cause trouble in when I was 3 are exactly the same as they were 14 years ago. Not a lot of shops open in the town centre, but a lot of shops do close. My parents even said nothing exciting opens in the town centre until Mae opened her cafe. Maybe it's due to the fact that the town is close to the city anyway, so new shops didn't seem necessary.

It's not all bad, though. There's something beautiful about it actually. It keeps childhood alive, but I don't see a future for myself in this town, and frankly every young person feels the same. To be fair, we have made some progress. Apartment buildings rose in the town centre this past year, but they weren't monumental. Just enough so that they blend in with the facade of all the Victorian-era buildings around them. So if I were to do what I want to do, it can't happen here.

"I'm sorry I'm late." I announced as soon I got through the door.

"That's old news, Kim." I hear Jane say as she was setting up the camera. I just dropped my bag on an empty space beside a computer and turned to face the guests. Normally, it's just me and Jane in this room that's it's a bit weird that there are more than 5 people in here. The freshmen were sitting nervously in the corner, not knowing what's in for them. There was one person missing in the group, and I start to worry whether she forgot about what we talked about this morning.

"Can we start soon?" One of the freshmen asked. Just as he asked that, Jane just finished setting up the camera. The two of us then went straight to director mode.

Jane was the one who did all the talking throughout the whole shoot. I stayed behind the camera most of the time, adjusting the focus and zoom from time to time. Even with that, my mind wasn't completely in place. Where's Jacky? She promised she'd be here. Every noise I hear from the hallway, I expect the door would fling open and Jacky just strolls in, but she doesnt.

And why it's bothering me so much that she's not here, I don't know!

It was until we were filming the last freshman, the door swings open and a blonde beauty walks in. We make eye contact for moment but she was dragged on a seat before she could say anything. I turn my attention back to zooming in up close as Jane asks the final question to the last freshman. Once that's done, I cut the footage.

"Perfect!" Jane rejoices. The freshman leaves, leaving only the three of us in the room. "Hi! You're the new student in our year!" Jane exclaims and I can't help but shoot her a wry look. She's really not hiding the fact that she's excited by a new face. "Great. We could use a new face in our year." She gestures for Jacky to sit in front of the camera and she does so without any hesitation.