Lunch Meetings

"Hey momma." I greet kissing her cheek as I sat down.

"Hey sweetie. Lacey should be here in a minute she texted me saying she was finding parking." Mom says as I take my seat across from her. "I didn't mess up any plans of yours today did I?"

"Nope I'm was just at Dansby's then we are going to the game tonight so I can see them before they leave for a road trip." I answer putting a straw in my water.

"You have been spending a lot of time with him lately." She says making me nod.

"Yea, he actually asked me to be his girlfriend last night." I couldn't help the smile that spread on my lips.

My mom smiled but there was a look in her eyes that worried me. "That's great sweetie. I haven't seen you this happy in a long time."

I go to ask her what is wrong but Lacey sat down at the table. "Sorry I'm late! I will never get use to Atlanta traffic." She laughs making us laugh as well. "But Ashton how are you?" She questions leaning over and giving me a hug.

"I'm good thanks! And you? I saw your wedding photos, you were beautiful. I hated that I couldn't make it." I reciprocate the hug.

"Aw well thank you, but I completely understand! It was durning football season." She laughs.

Lacey has been a friend of our family for years. She's 2 years older than me and let me just say drop dead gorgeous. Her long blonde hair and a petite tan body is envious. She graduated from Vanderbilt with a business degree and contacted my mom about opening a store in Nashville. My mom of course was open to expanding into such a thriving city.

"Well why don't we order and then get down to business?" Mom offers making the two of us nod.

"I'll take the quesadilla with tater tots please." I smile handing the waiter my menu. I waited on the other two to order before they both turn to me anxiously. "Soooo...." I trail off since they are both staring at me.

"Ashton let me start by saying I know that sports marketing is your passion and you want to get back to it but please hear me out." Mom begs making me a little on edge.

"Ok?" I say wearily.

Lacey leans forward placing her arms on the table. "Ashton I'm pregnant." My jaw drops.

"That's great!" I exclaim not understanding why they seem so timid.

"With that being said. My husband makes enough money for me to not have to work." I frown thinking I know where this is going.

"Lace no you're such an amazing addition to this family."

My mom decides to step in here. "With that being said we are going to need to fill her shoes. And we think you would be perfect." My eyes widen at my mom.

"What?" I ask confused. "I'm marketing not management."

"Honey anyone can be management with the right training. I know this is a big decision but we wanted to offer you this position before we started looking." I shake my head in disagreement.

I couldn't believe my mom would put me in this position in front of someone else. She knows that this is not the field I want to be in and yet I feel like she's trying to force me into it.

"I... No just no. I'm sorry Lacey but I honestly don't plan on being in this company very long. It's not a field I enjoy, to be honest it's boring." I say voicing my opinion.

"Ashton Faith! That is rude. Now this company gave you a job when you didn't have one so before you shut us down completely why don't you keep an open mind?" My mother scolds me.

Now don't get me wrong I love my momma she is my mother but we but heads like two bulls. "Mom you basically forced me into this job. Don't get me wrong I enjoy it but you know I want to get back into sports marketing. I don't know why you keep trying to shove the company down my throat?"

Lacey sat there wide eyed as my mothers jaw was dropped. "I don't have to give you this job Ashton." My mom warns.

I don't know what came over me. It must have been my anger, but tossing my napkin on the table I shrug as I stand up. "Then take it back. And don't even think about using my game day appeal any more."

Grabbing my purse I walk out the front door of the restaurant. "What the hell did I just do." I mutter as I slam my car door.

Tears of frustration rolling down my cheeks as I call my dad. "Hey champ!" He answers happily.

"Why does she do this?" I cry.

"Who?" My Dad asks confused by my crying.

"Mom!" I cry. "She's always trying to shove the company down my throat. I don't want it! She did this in college to and it's so frustrating." I was letting it all out.

My dad and I were incredibly close, always so he knows how frustrated I get because of mom. "She only wants someone to take over what she's built Ash." He tries explaining.

"But why does that have to me? I don't love this, to be honest I hate the fashion retail industry. I want to be in sports and she doesn't get that!" I just wanted my mom to under stand my passion.

"So how did you handle it?" My Dad asks knowing I did something.

"I quit. I couldn't do something I don't love anymore. I'm back here in Atlanta so I'm going to apply to the Braves, Falcons, hell I'll even apply to Atlanta United and the Dream. I just want to get back to what I love." I explain quickly.

My dad sighs on the other end of the line. "Although I don't support quitting before you have something lined up, I do respect you for going after your dream. You know if you need any help just let me know."

"Thanks Dad. I will. And thank you for listening to me." I sniff whipping under my eyes.

"Of course Champ. I'll talk to you later." He says bring the call to a close.

"Sounds good. Bye." Hanging up the phone I start my car up and head to my house.

All I need right now is some stress relief so that is exactly what I headed home to do. Changing into my workout clothes I had to the gym and work out until I can barely move.

I did this back in college, when ever I got stressed I would just go work out. It didn't matter the time or day I always went. It was my way of not feeling guilty and dealing with stress. I have a feeling I'm gonna be back here working out a lot more in the future.

Liked by 31,764 others ItsAshton Back in my natural habitat 💪🏽103 commentsEmmaCoop crap @kingally @-Jessbarr- something happened↪️Kingally @itsashton we're on our way over rn

ItsAshton Back in my natural habitat 💪🏽
103 comments
EmmaCoop crap @kingally @-Jessbarr- something happened
↪️Kingally @itsashton we're on our way over rn