Chapter 18 - Part 1

Adonis

I woke up and squinted as the sun shone into the room. I sat up as I took in my surroundings. I was still in Katie's room. I rubbed my hands over my face before I stretched and looked around the room.

Katie walked into the room and smiled sheepishly at me.

"I'm so sorry about last night," she began to apologise.

"It's okay. It happens to us all," I assured her I stood. There had been a few occasions where I'd been in her shoes and Link had done the babysitting.

She looked like death warmed up but if she hadn't thrown up most of the alcohol she would probably be feeling much worse.

"It'd be great it you didn't tell Trisha how drunk I got. She'll be pissed if she discovers how drunk I got last night," she asked nervously leaning against the door frame.

"I won't tell her," I told her. There was no reason to make a bigger deal out of it. "I need to go."

She nodded her head as I reached for my jacket. I found my phone on the coffee table and slid it into the back pocket of my jeans.

"Thanks again," she said before I nodded my head and left her room.

Thankfully I didn't run into anyone on my way up to my room because explaining why I was still dressed in the clothes I'd worn the night before wouldn't be easy without them getting the wrong idea.

The first thing I did when I made it back into my hotel room without being detected was go for a shower. Afterward, despite my tiredness, I felt better. Still with a towel around my neck I picked my phone up. I was looking forward to telling Lacey about last, including the part where I'd babysat Katie for most of the night.

It rang and rang until it finally went to voicemail.

"It's me. Give me a call when you get the message," I said before I hung up.

Not even giving it further thought that she'd missed my call I sat down on the sofa and towel dried my hair while I watched TV. It was only an hour later when I realised Lacey still hadn't called me back.

I frowned slightly as I tried to call her. Again it just rang and rang before going to voicemail.

There was something up. Had something happened to her? I couldn't stop my thoughts from going into overdrive. Past experience made me contemplate the worst first.

I tried to call her again but like before it just rang and then went to the familiar sound of her voice asking to leave a message. I still had Sam watching over her so he was the next person I tried but when he didn't pick up his phone I decided to call Alex.

"Gray," my best friend greeted me with disdain. It was so out of place I was taken aback for a moment.

"Alex. I can't get hold of your sister," I told him.

"Why would you want to speak to her?" he asked and my frown deepened.

Why would he ask me a question like that?

"Alex," I said, irritation filtering into my voice. "I need to speak to her."

"Well she doesn't want to talk to you," he said, angrily.

What the hell? My grip tightened on my phone. The thought that she was deliberately avoiding my calls didn't make any sense.

"What's going on?" I asked Alex, hoping he would shed some light on what was going on.

"Are you for real?" he spat back at me. "You're my best friend and you do this to my sister. After everything she has been through, she deserves better."