3 Khaleediay

Jonas~~

It has never ceased to amaze me how the lack of someone's presence can give me a headache.

My brother, Colton, leans back in one of the two chairs on the other side of my desk. One would think that the older brother should be the calmer one in a situation, but even with the two years I have on him, Colton is the picture of relaxed. Every unsuccessful day that goes by of trying to bring Erik back to the Estate frays my nerves. As Preeminence, I should either have everything under control or act like it is.

But the whole Society knows it's my fault Erik isn't back.

"You talked to him?" Colton lays his arms on the rests of the chair.

I stare up at the ceiling, my neck reclining uncomfortably on the back of my seat. "We argued, and he hung up. If he hadn't hung up when he did, I'd have started begging."

"It wouldn't have been the worst idea."

I sit up, sending a glare his way. "You would have?"

"Obviously not. This situation isn't my fault."

My eyes narrow more. "I'm sorry that I wanted to regain his trust."

His stare makes me want to look away. He doesn't scare me, but when I look at his eyes, I can't help but feel like I'm being stared at by myself. He, our sister, and I share the same dark blue eyes.

Colton and I have had our current conversation too many times, and I can predict his next line. He won't pass up the chance of hearing me sound foolish.

"You knew he wasn't just going to come waltzing back, Jonas."

"I didn't think it would be this difficult to track him."

His lips inch upward.

"What?"

"Since I can't become Beta until Erik becomes Tresais, I've felt properly motivated to find him."

"You know I've been doing everything I can to track him, khaleedi." The Amorian word for brother.

"Yes, but you already have power." He hands me a clear tablet. On the screen is an aerial picture of buildings, maybe in an industrial part of a city, along with two pictures of Erik. "Since we moved, I've been doing my best to pin down Erik's safe houses."

"You didn't tell me about this."

"I've been unsuccessful until now. With Erik using his safe houses again, I've been able to unearth this one. I think this is where he's currently hiding. I didn't know if it was one until these pictures of him were posted."

I raise an eyebrow and return my focus on the screen. In one picture is a girl, but she's mainly cut off in the picture, her face not visible. "Who's that?"

"I don't know. If you click on the picture there are some more, but she's cut off in all of them enough that I can't run a scan on her face."

I swipe through the pictures. He's right.

"They're posted online. From what I gathered, Erik pulled the girl away from an oncoming car. People were more interested in taking pictures of the future Tresais than her."

I scratch my forehead. A member of the Society saving someone from harm isn't going to reflect well on our reputation; not that I can be angry with him about it. Though, I do wonder what made him help her. Erik's not one to do things for others unless there's some benefit for him. "Where is this?"

"Baltimore."

My thoughts immediately go to Brydan.

Colton must read on my face where my thoughts went because he says Erik's not staying with him. I relax handing Colton back the tablet.

"I'm taking a team and heading to his safe house in a couple hours," he says.

I glance at the clock. It's already eleven PM. Maryland may only be a state away from West Virginia, but it's still a long drive to make this late. "Will you be okay?"

He shifts in his seat. He knows he shouldn't roll his eyes at me, but I can imagine him doing that. "Of course. We can't risk losing him."

We stand, and I shake his hand.

"Don't disappoint me."

"Never, Preeminence."