it

***fun fact: there will be 16 chapters left to go and I'm actually trying to lessen my author's notes because I think it's making the chapter promising for the amount of pages. Oops.

[unedited]

14. What If

"What the hell?"

Niall stares up at my eyes with amusement flashing forward. His hands are on his hips as he lifts an eyebrow to inquire my reaction.

"You asked me which colour I wanted and I chose blue! What didn't you understand in the statement 'I like blue'?!" my shock rises until my cheeks are heated at the sight of his newly dyed hair. Niall flicks his fringe to the side and softly scratch his nape, smiling gently at my way. I can't believe what he's done. And I used to think lilac is weird enough. I thought wrong.

Niall's newly dyed hair is both pink and blue. The colour pink is draped on his fringe, slowly drifting its colour to the middle onward with the colour light blue. I don't know how to react. I mean, yea, it's his hair and he loves colours but why on earth would he dye his hair with two colours that don't even look natural. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm overreacting because despite the colour, it fits him very well, but I just don't think he has the right mind to do something as ridiculous as that. I'm expecting rainbow hair next week.

"Yes, I was asking which you preferred but I didn't say I would follow your recommendation. Technically, I was just searching for suggestions but not obliging them, Harry dear," he answers intelligently with the infamous soft yet smug grin to match his glimmering eyes and multi-coloured hair.

"Yea, yea, whatever," I deadpan and look around the corridor of our school. There are people passing by but briefly pausing when they catch a glimpse of Niall's hair. They don't exactly bother his clothes anymore because the sparkly outfits are never unusual when it comes to him, but his flamboyance has gone yonder to the scale of prominence. I look back at Niall and ask, "Why are you here, anyway?"

It's funny how even though everyone thinks Niall and I are 'together', they don't question our low PDA. Niall and I barely see each other during school days because our classes are jumbled except for History and our extracurricular are disconnected as well, so whenever we do see each other, it's unusual still for me. Niall and I rarely text too and I assume it's because of the not-too-fatal rejection.

"I'm just inviting you for an overnight on Saturday. Please don't get me wrong, but it's not just the two of us if you feel uncomfortable. Mother dear and my brother are not in our house and I'm assigned to take care of my nephew, Theo. I just think I prefer mature companies instead of children's, so I wish you'd be able to come to our house on Saturday. I invited the loveliest Louis as well and perhaps you'd want to invite Gideon? I am certain he'll accept the invitation and I'm absolutely in on catching up with him."

I think about it for a moment and realise that my schedule is very wide these weeks because of the lack of company, so I accept his invitation and he smiles, walking away with a light, excited blush crawling on his cheeks. I try to avoid assuming that the blush is because of my acceptance and walk away as well, heading over to my English class.

Saturday comes in velocity and I find myself standing across Niall's front door with an average duffle hanging on my shoulder. I knock on the entrance and Niall opens it for me with a delightful smile. He's carrying a sleeping six year old that leans on his shoulders as he softly shushes me with his finger, telling me to come inside in silence.

I come in and sit on the couch. The other two boys haven't arrived yet, I guess, so I stay there awkwardly. Niall, still carrying Theo, tells me to wait for a few minutes and then disappears to the staircase. He comes back later on without the child but with a warm grin.