Chapter 2

My once-sapphire colored eyes, now pale and striking, grow wide in shock. I open my mouth and try to speak, but only a strangled cry escapes my lips. Niall smiles at me and looks up towards the end of my bed. Another shriek escapes me when I see Harry, Liam, Louis, and Zayn standing there, also smiling at me. I just stare around at them for what feels like a full minute before finally gaining some sort of motor skills. One of the first thing I notice is that they aren't smiling those forced, tight, gee-I'm-sorry-you're-gonna-die smiles. No, they're flashing those heart-melting smiles that I've grown to love. I manage a weak smile back, not because I don't wish to smile, but because I can't.

"Hi! I'm Allie!" I say, a small tremor in my voice.

"Hello, I'm Liam, and-"

"Oh, believe me, I know who you are." I cut him short. "You're Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, Zayn Malik, Harry Styles, and-" at this, I turn and try to smile as much as possible at Niall. "Niall Horan." his name comes out in almost a whisper. I turn back to the rest of the boys, and try to sit up, but struggle. Immediately, all five of them are at my side, passing pillows around and propping me up. My smile grows larger. "I can't believe this is really happening!" I cry, "I figured you'd be too busy to come see me. I mean I'm just some girl, and, well..." I break off and look down at my hands.

"No, Allie. We'd do anything for such a special fan like you." Niall's voice breaks into my head. His rich Irish accent, the one I love so much, makes me smile again, involuntarily.

"Well, I'm so happy you came!" I say, and laugh for what feels like the first time in months.

"And we're just as glad we came, too." Zayn says with a smile.

"So... What now?" I ask. The boys all look at each other, and Liam gives a small nod. Then, he begins the first lines of Moments. I'm once more overtaken with shock, because this is my favorite song of theirs. Liam's solo finishes and Harry's begins. Then the chorus starts, and I'm still sitting in awe. Niall's part comes, my all-time favorite singing part out of every single one of One Direction's songs. I just stare back into his own pair of sparkling sapphire eyes, a small smile on my face. When he says "don't wanna be without you", he seems to mean it genuinely. This makes me glance down, because I finally remember just why they're here- I'm dying.

Eventually, they finish the song. We sit in silence for a moment before I finally start clapping as wildly as possible.

"How'd you know that was my favorite song???" I ask.

"Your mum told us!" Harry replies with a laugh. I turn to my mom, grab her hand, and squeeze it.

"But we aren't done yet!" Louis says, and then they sing More Than This, Everything About You, and One Thing. At each of Niall's solos, I feel as of he's singing honestly to me, for me. That this isn't just some visit. When they're done with their mini concert, I'm so happy I'm bursting.

"Well, thanks for the, erm, concert!" I say, feeling a bit tired.

"We're happy you enjoyed it! Now we'd like to ask you a few things!" Liam says with a smile.

"Okay!" I say happily.

Louis begins with, "Which of our video diaries is your favorite?"

"That's easy! Week 5, when you talk about which super powers you'd want. Personally I'd want the power to read minds. Oh and uh I absolutely love the song Fame! The one you were singing!" I say.

"Thank Niall for that one!" Harry says, and I blush slightly.

"So next question?" I try changing the subject.

"What're your favorites? Color, food, animal, book?" Zayn asks sweetly.

"Hmmm, I'd say color is green, don't have a favorite food, I love all kinds, and animal is giraffe! And, I don't really have a favorite book. As you can see I'm a heavy reader!" I gesture to the large stack on the hospital night stand. The boys all look at Niall for a moment. That's odd, I think.

"Okay so what next?" I ask.

Liam questions, "What do you like to do in your spare time?"

"Oh I love reading! Obviously haha... And I also enjoy writing songs and poetry. I can play piano and guitar. Well at least I used to..." at this statement I bite my lip and look down, my sign that I'm uncomfortable or sad. Niall clears his throat and I look up into those bright blue pools I drown so easily in.

"What do you look for in a guy?" he asks.

"Uh... Sweet, smart, funny. He's got to love kids. Very musical. Cute. Taller than me, haha. Able to support me in everything I do. Loving, caring... I guess thats all." I reply nervously. When I'm finished, he's got a huge grin on his face. I tentatively smile back.

"Well," says Liam, "We really must go now! It was amazing talking to you, Allie!" each of the boys then gently hugs me and kisses my cheek, then we say good-bye and they're gone. I lean back into the pillows, mulling over the best day of my life.

~ ~ ~

As the days went by, despite the ongoing chemotherapy and my inevitable death, I was in a fairly good mood. Yet there was a small ache in the pit of my stomach- I wished to see the boys again so badly. Especially Niall. But I knew it'd probably never happen. And I tried to shove down the desire to see them again. After all, I was incredibly lucky that they visited me in the first place! And so I tried my best to forget the hope that I'd someday see them again.

~ ~ ~

A week and a half after their visit, I was working on writing a song. I suddenly heard laughter down the hall outside my room. I set down my notebook and was about to ring the nurse asking what the commotion was- but I never got the chance. Because, just then, who bursts into my hospital room? The boys- along with Danielle, Eleanor, and Perrie! Elated, I start laughing. We all greet each other happily.

"Hello Allie! I'm Danielle, and this is Eleanor and Perrie! How are you feeling, love?"

"I'm doing amazing, now! And of course I know who the three of yo are, I practically -worship- you!" I reply with another laugh. Then the boys all start asking me how I'm doing, all talking at once, except Niall, who's just smiling at me. I shoot him a smile and then raise my hand up. "Whoa, whoa slow down! I'm doing alright, for now. The doctors aren't sure how much longer I'll be doing chemo, it all depends on- on my condition in a little while." we can all sense the unspoken words- it all depends on how much longer I'll be alive. The room slowly falls silent.

"Are you scared?" comes Harry's voice. I'm startled at this question. I mull it over, and finally answer.

"I'm not exactly scared of dying. I'm more scared that I won't be able to live. That I'll be stuck here, fading away without the world knowing." there is silence once more. I bite my lip and look down.

"Well... Let's get this party started!" Louis says. I force a laugh. The girls bounce around me onto the bed and the boys settle into the chairs around me. Liam then produces chips and sodas, and El pulls out a movie- Finding Nemo. I laugh at the selection and excitedly call in the nurse to put it in for us. She balks at the amount of people in the room- and who they are- but hurriedly puts it in and leaves. As the movie starts, we begin a discussion about the movie. Its getting pretty funny when the movie starts. We all settle down for a fun time. And, at my favorite part, would you believe that every single one of us whispered "Nemo touched the butt!" all together, which started another laugh fast. And that's how it all began- my friendship with my role models, One Direction, and their girlfriends.

~ ~ ~

As the credits role and the nurse comes back in to remove it, we say our good-byes.

"Before we leave, Allie, you should know that we'll be back as soon as possible! We're going to keep visiting you until- until erm you get better." Zayn says, avoiding the words "until you die." I smile brightly, but fakely, as Niall comes over to say good-bye. He bends down and just before kissing my cheek, he whispers:

"This has been the best date ever." I look up at him with wide eyes. He smiles, and then he's gone.