Chapter 2 - Newcomer Introductions

The following twenty four hours were a blur to say the least. When Master Sheng said I'd have to leave now... He meant now.

Immediately I was sent up to my room to go pack. I was told I was allowed one suitcase of belongings and that 'suitable clothing' would be provided for me for training so not to bother trying to stuff my entire wardrobe in. I think what they were both forgetting was that most of my clothes were back in Edinburgh, so I couldn't have tried even if I wanted too.

"Good luck dealing with grumps down there on your whole journey to China," James reminded me while I was packing. I leaned back on my heels and groaned at the thought.

"Don't remind me. I'll actually be surprised if he doesn't try to kill me on the way."

"Watch out, he'll sneak into the cockpit and crash the plane while you're in the air. You better keep an eye on him," he laughed.

"Thanks for the lovely words of reassurement darling," I replied sarcastically. "I'm sure it'll rest greatly on your conscience that you tried to warn me when you hear of a plane crash on the news tomorrow night."

"Don't worry, I'll keep a look out," he winked at me. I shook my head and stuffed the last shirt into my suitcase. I hadn't brought much up with me; just enough clothes for about five days worth. At least it was all my favourites. "What a shame you don't even have a picture of my beautiful face to take with you."

"Oh that is a shame," I paused and glanced at his suitcase lying next to mine, a smile forming on my lips. "Guess I'll just have to steal one of your t-shirts instead." James shrugged.

"Go for it." I walked over and shuffled through his clothes before pulling out the top I was looking for. It was a plain white one with prints of birds going down the sides. "I knew you were going to pick that one."

"Well obviously, it's my favourite," I replied. Suddenly James stood up and walked over to me. Taking my face in his hands he gave me a soft peck on the lips.

"Look after it," he whispered softly. I could only nod in response.

Saying goodbye to James wasn't easy. But then I knew it wouldn't be. I tried my hardest not to cry as he kissed me goodbye but will admit I failed, letting a few stray tears roll down my cheeks.

I was grateful to hear that Master Sheng would accompany me and Elias to the Temple. Maybe I would actually make it to the temple alive - or at least not meet my fate in an aeroplane crash on the way. Once we got to Hong Kong I was told we were to catch a boat the rest of the way.

"The Temple is situated on one of the small islands off the coast of China," Master Sheng told me on the flight over. "No one else inhabits the island so we are free to train without causing any disruption to civilians." I couldn't help but wonder what sort of training went on that would possible warrant the need of an entire island, but figured I'd find out soon enough.

I didn't even know anything more about the Ancient Sins, nor which one I was supposed to be. It was fair to say I still felt skeptical; there were a few occasions where I wondered if I had fallen into a trap and was about to be trafficked off somewhere. However my overactive mind was calmed at the thought that they wouldn't have shown their faces so openly if that was the case. That and the fact I was travelling on my own passport.

The boat journey to the Temple was only a few hours. I love travelling by boat, mainly because I don't get motion sick, so the rocking motion usually lulls me to sleep. And considering I didn't sleep much on the twelve hour flight over, for fear of Elias killing us all, I ended up passing out a few minutes in. It wasn't until I was kindly awoken by him pushing me off the seats I was sprawled across that I got my first glimpse of the island.