Chapter 40

Alexandra's POV

Alexandra's POV

After the whole day of agony at school, I headed home towards my apartment. It was still bright for late afternoon. Perfect for strolling around. When I reached the left curb near the intersection, unidentified men surrounded me. My fighting instincts awakened.

I gulped. "Who are you? What do you want?" They covered their faces, as they dashed towards me with daggers and bats. I got into a fist to fist fight, punching one man to the other.

Before the other man went closer to me, I ran towards him and kicked him in his balls while kicking the other at my back. I held the man I attacked and punched his face, falling unconscious on the ground in an instant.

I felt at ease in learning I still had my excellent fighting skills until now. When I managed to defeat them at once, I panted, gasping for more air. Did Giovanni send these men to assault me by surprise?

At the moment, I heard a clap from someone behind the post. I glanced and saw someone I knew. "Stepfather?"

"How have you been, Belladonna," he said. He hid his identity with his disguise as a beggar I saw before thinking he was real. Yet, it was part of his plan to spy me of my whereabouts.

Thunder clasped, lightning struck revealed their selves in the darkening skies. Surprised by his appearance after three years, I couldn't speak a word. "Did the cat got your tongue, dear? You look great in those clothes. I never thought you'd look good in a school uniform, indeed."

Cautious of his next move, I kept my stance and focused my sight on him. "Why are you here?" Right, everything was over. The moment I slew the mafia boss, my connection between us was long gone.

He laughed and without a moment to lose, he grabbed my arm closer to him. "You think you can continue living like this? You think you can escape from me and your dark past? Remember, no matter what crap you're doing right now, you'll always be that murderer. The notorious assassin everyone fears at night, Alexandra."

This close, I stared at his aging face. I scoffed and spat. "My life as a killer is over, Monsour. Since then, you're dead. You promised me that after I killed the capo, you will give me my freedom after all."

"And you exactly believed that?" He giggled. Heavy rains dropped soaking us through our skins. The loud thunderstorms screamed while I faced with the man responsible for my dark past.

"Why? Was that bullshit?" I asked in fear. "Why do you need me again?"

He shrugged, showing his sarcastic response through his gestures. "Well, I said that to put you to work. You know, you've been slacking off. So, I needed to say something to motivate you a bit. And that worked. You didn't only kill the capo—" He paused and clapped— "You killed more than half of his men. All this time, they didn't know who managed to kill them nor the identity of the killer itself. They knew it was Belladonna, but they never knew it was you."