Chapter 6

She didn't realize she was awake at first because the darkness was just as thick in this house as it had been in her mind. Her head throbbed as if it had been struck with a mallet. She tasted iron in her mouth. Blood. She had bitten her lip. Or someone had hit her. Tim had grabbed her throat with hands that were far too strong for his narrow frame. She could feel where the bruises were going to form.

She sat up. The boys were gone. So was Carly.

"Thought you were dead." A flashlight beam struck her between the eyes. She blocked the light with her hand.

"Tim?"

"Sorry. It was CJ's idea. I shouldn't have jumped on you. It was really stupid." He was sitting on the bottom step of the stairs by the front door.

She stood. Her legs felt made of gelatin. "Where's Carly?"

Tim gestured up the stairs. "Second floor."

"She was drunk."

Tim shrugged. "She didn't fight them."

Vanessa stormed straight for Tim. How could she have ever found him attractive enough to want to kiss? He stood and placed his hands on either newel post where the railing started. The stairs went up a few steps, came to a small platform, and then turned left to a much longer flight. Carly was up there with two stupid jocks and she had no way to protect herself.

"Carly!" Vanessa's shout faded into the darkness. Eaten. "Let me up there."

"I can't do that."

"What? Are you a slave? What are they doing up there?"

"Nothing they haven't done before."

"What?"

"She just needed a little push this time." He held up a red and white beer can. "Hers had something special in it."

"You drugged her!"

"Not me. CJ. He loves her, you know."

"Let me up there."

"Just go home, Vanessa. Carly's going to be fine. Probably having a grand time. Maybe she'll even remember it."

She slapped him across the face before she realized that's what she was doing. He straightened his face and stared at her. Unlike before when his mouth had drooped and his eyes even sagged for his performance, Tim's face tightened into a shield and pure rage burned from his eyes. She was stepping back as he hit her.

The first hit cracked her jaw. The second knocked her back to the floor. Pain radiated through her knees and into her jaw and across her face. Tears spurted. Snot bubbled from her nose and over her lip.

"There! Look what you made me do."

From upstairs, CJ asked what the hell was going on.

"Just a little disagreement," Tim said.

"Screw it," CJ said. "Bring her up here. Carly passed out."

She saw them taking advantage and mocking her. The whole act itself wouldn't be enough. They wanted humiliation.

Tim reached for her arm and Vanessa brought the flashlight right up into his jaw as she should have done earlier. He screamed and stumbled back to the steps and then fell into an awkward sitting position on the first step. He held his face in both hands and lowered his head between his knees. He moaned like she had pulled out his tongue.

She should tell him that's what he deserved. She should make him lead her upstairs so she could get Carly and get out of here. But that wouldn't work. CJ, Hector and Whitey wouldn't be so easily defeated. If she went up there, she'd walk right into their hands.

Her flashlight had broken. She dropped it and watched it roll to Tim's feet, next to his fallen beer can. A small puddle of beer looked like piss. Tim didn't look up. He sounded like he was crying. She almost felt sorry for him.

Finally, she left Hudson House and vowed never to return.