39.

Now that my family has revealed some of their secrets it's time that I tell them about what I saw Uncle Kevin do white he was in New York.

I just wish that my family told me what he was like before he showed up in New York.

Standing up I move in front of my family and say. "Not long before I moved to Nova Island I went to Uncle Kevin's place to see him and he had a girl with him. He dressed her up like me, but in a cheerleaders uniform and he yelled my name while he had sex with her. After that he started to beat her. Blood was pouring down her face. Uncle Kevin looked out the window and his eyes landed on mine. He got off the girl quickly and ran to the door. Opening it he pulled into the house and wrapped his hand around my throat, choking me. He said. "If you tell anyone about this I will kill you and bury you where no one will ever find you. It's not like you're family care that you're gone now anyway." He let go of me and I ran as fast as I could away from him. When I got home there was a letter from Nova Island telling me that I got the job on the Island teaching kids. That's the last I saw of Uncle Kevin." Grabbing my bag off the table I say. "I can't be here anymore." Walking over to Mom I kiss her on the cheek. "Please, get the scan and get the tumor removed. I need you in my life." I hug her quickly before pulling away.

Mom just looks at me without saying anything. Before I leave she whispers. "I will."

Dad walks with me out the front door. "Are you okay?"

"No, but I need to process everything you've said today and I can't do that around the people that don't like me right now." I kiss his cheek before walking to the car. "See you later, Dad." I climb into my car and pull away from the house.

I drive around Los Angeles for a bit before I pull into a parking lot. Getting out of the car I grab my phone and call Cole.

He answers it after a couple rings.

Cole: Hey, this is Cole.

Me: Hey, stranger. Did you get the car?

Cole: Yes, I did. It's in the garage. Do you want to stop by and have a look?

Me: Sure, can you send me the address and I'll be there shortly.

Cole: Okay, he's quiet for a moment before he says. What's wrong with your Mom?

Me: She has a tumor on her brain.

Cole: Shit! I'm sorry, Julia. Is there anything I can do to help you?

Me: No, I'll have to get through this like I do everything else.

Cole: You have me.

Me: This weekend I won't. What time to do you fly out?

Cole: I'm leaving at 10pm. I have a few hours to spend with you.

Me: Thank you for being there for me, Cole. I don't know what I would do without you.

Cole: You don't have to thank me, Julia. All I want from you is to be friends and nothing more.

Yet. I'm sure he's thinking we'll be something later on, but who knows.

Me: You're getting there, Cole.

He laughs.

Cole: At a snail's pace, but at least I'm getting somewhere with you.

Me: I'm about to jump back into the car. Send me the address of the garage and I'll be there shortly.

Cole: Sure.

I hang up the phone and walk back to the car. As I jump in the car my phone goes off with a message from Cole and it's the address of the garage. Typing the address into the Navman I follow the directions until I reach my destination.

As soon as I pull the car into the driveway I see my brothers standing around the 1969 Ford Mustang.

Great. I left the house to get away from them and they show up to the place I wanted to be.

Cole looks in the direction of my car and he stands up. He says something to my brothers before walking over to my car. Opening the door he climbs in and shuts the door. "Antwon and Liam swung by to get the keys for my place, but when they saw the car they wanted to check it out."

Liam walks over to the car and climbs into the back seat. "Antwon and I are leaving." He tells me and then says to Cole. "We'll keep your house safe while you're away for the weekend."

"You better. If I come back and anything is broken you'll have to replace it."

"Okay," Liam climbs out of the car. "Bye," he slams the door and walks over to Antwon."

I watch them climb into the car and pull away. "Cole,"

Cole watches my brothers pull away in their car. "Hmmm," he looks at me. "What?"

"Do you go to the pubs with my brother? Or do you only spend time at your places?"

He frowns. "Why are you asking, Julia?"

"Please, just answer the question."

"Work and our houses are the only places we hang out. Are you going to tell me why you're asking?"

"There's something more going on with my brothers other than what my uncle did to them. I want to know. Which is why I need you to help me get in contact with Jesse Hanson. I have a few things for him to do for me."

Cole pulls his phone out of his pocket and looks at me. "Are you sure you want him to do this? What if you find out something you don't want to know? It won't end well for you."

Sighing I say. "I'm in the dark about everything and I don't want to keep being blindsided by everyone in my life. It's time that everything is in the open and then I can go about my life and enjoy it. I can't do that while my family act like strangers towards me."

He nods. "Okay, I'll leave him a message if he doesn't pick up." He presses call and puts it on loudspeaker.

Jesse: Hello, this is Jesse.

Cole: Hey, Jesse. I have someone with me that wants to hire you.

Jesse: Who is it? You know I don't like being referred to.

Cole: You'll like this one.

Jesse: I'll meet them. Tell me when and where and I'll be there.

Cole: In an hour at the garage.

Jesse: I'll be there.

He hangs up on Cole. "That went better than I expected."

"Does he really hate it when people refer someone else to him?"

"Yes, he thinks that it's a conflict of interest when it comes to friends using his services at the same time. It's because the friend thinks that it's their business to find out who they're getting him to look into."

Looking at Cole I say. "I'm starting to trust you. Which is why I want you to know everything I'm doing just in case I get into some trouble."

"