Chapter 2

Nico pushed his trunk through the train station with nothing but anxiety coursing through his veins. Next to him, Ron looked around at the Muggles in awe. Why did he care so much? They were human, that's it.

Never did Nico imagine that he himself could be something besides human and wizard.

Muggles were everywhere, walking to their destinations with nothing more than ignorance of what was hidden in the train station itself. Behind a column they didn't look at twice, behind bricks they would never try to touch. Hidden beneath their noses, they never could imagine the red train already bustling with teenagers.

Nico found their ignorance amusing.

"Now, what's the platform number?" Molly asked.

"Nine and three quarters!" Ginny answered, holding her mother's hand. Nico never liked her much. "Mum, can't I go..."

"You're not old enough, Ginny, now be quiet," Molly responded. "All right, Percy, you go first."

Percy. The name still sent shivers down Nico's spine.

Nico watched as Percy disappeared into the collum, keeping an expressionless face as Nico had learned to do. Why show your feelings when no one has earned them?

"Fred, you next," Molly said.

"I'm not Fred, I'm George." Nico could tell it was Fred who had spoken. "Honestly, woman, you call yourself our mother? Can't you tell I'm George?"

"Sorry, George, dear."

"Only joking, I am Fred." the twins left next, through the barrier and onto the platform. As it got closer to his own turn, Nico switched his weight from one foot to the other.

"Excuse me." Another boy came up, then, causing Nico's head to turn to him. Around his own age, with messy black hair and glasses.

"Hello, dear," Molly greeted. "First time at Hogwarts? Ron and Nico are new, too." She gestured to Ron and Nico, the later having hidden behind his counterfeit twin.

"Yes," the new boy replied. "The thing is-the thing is, I don't know how to-"

Nico zoned out of the conversation as he watched the boy from behind Ron's back. As they remained in the same area, feelings of dread and despair wormed their way into Nico's stomach. As the boy stepped closer, Nico had to stop himself from throwing up all over Ron.

Whoever this boy was, whatever that feeling was, it was coming from the forehead of the newcomer.

"Nico, come on." Ron snapped him out of his thoughts after the boy had disappeared from sight. Harry, his name was, if Nico heard correctly. "We're going to be late."

"Right." Nico glanced up at Molly. She gave him a reassuring look and a quick hug, her hand moving to rustle his hair. "Bye."

"Bye, sweetheart." she did the same to Ron before stepping back. "Now get going. Ron's right, you're going to be late."

They got onto the platform, saw that scarlet train. People swarmed around, wearing robes and Muggle clothing alike. As the twins told Molly it had been Harry Potter who had spoken to them, Nico glanced up at the train to see Harry quickly tuck his head away. Smirking, Nico looked back to the others. Of course, it had been Harry Potter.

Ginny started crying, they got on the train. It started to move and leave the platform behind. Ron led Nico through the train, eventually sliding open a door to reveal Harry Potter himself. "Anyone sitting here? Everywhere else is full."

Ron sat across from Harry while Nico sat next to the former, his knees tucked up to his chest as the train picked up speed. With his head against Ron's shoulder, he fell asleep as exhaustion settled over him.

Orange shirts, blue jeans. The scent of strawberries in the air. A pale face with hair the color of the sun and eyes the color of the sky. He could be described as hot, could be described as a surfer. His brilliant smile sent warmth through Nico's bones.

Then he woke up. No memories of the dream, no happiness left over. Now all he had was cold skin and sleepy eyes as he tried to make sense of what Ron had been saying.

"Time to change," Ron repeated, Harry having already started to. "If you don't hurry up we're gonna leave you behind."

Nico knew Ron would never leave him, or so he hoped, but jumped up to get dressed. Black robes over already black clothes, just as he liked it. Color was never to his liking.

A voice echoed through the train as he finished, causing Harry to look up. "We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time! Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately."

Nico looked over at his pale brother, scowling when he saw the two boys stuff sweets into their pockets. Had they not thought to share with him? With one last look of distaste, Nico parted from them and made his way into the corridor.

As he pushed through the crowd, he finally got onto a dark platform. Before long, Ron and Harry had found their way next to him.

They called for first years as the returning students went off a different way. The newest students followed Hagrid down a dark path, barely any voices ever being heard. Why was everyone so quiet? Nico found it hard to have true fear settle into him, and now wasn't one of those times. But something about the darkness made him uneasy.

The lake they stumbled upon was just as black as the night. Across from it, the castle rose up in all its glory. The lights were a bright sense of home, even if they hadn't stepped foot in the castle yet.

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid called out as he pointed to the boats themselves. Before Nico could move forward, Hermione and Nevile had already followed Ron and Harry into a boat. With more reluctance and depression, he followed a couple of strangers onto another boat.

As soon as Nico sat in the boat, he felt himself grow uncomfortable from the waves beneath them. Were they supposed to be that strong in a lake? Were lakes even supposed to have waves? As they started for the castle, he prayed to whatever god he had learned about that he'd make it there safely.

"Look!" the boy behind him pointed to the dark water as the tail of a merman swam by. "Wonder what's got them agitated..."

Me, Nico thought, though he didn't understand why. Why would merpeople hate him? He was just another wizard, an orphan if anything. He hadn't done anything to them.

You aren't where you belong, son of Hades. The voice seemed to vibrate through the lake, but as Nico looked around, no one else seemed to hear. Turn back while you can. That's all I can do to try to get you back to my son.

His son... Nico looked down at the water, watched the mermen swim about. He had no idea who the voice was talking about, couldn't even think of a possibility. Could it... No, he didn't think so. His parents were probably dead. And they definitely wouldn't be talking from a lake of all places.

But still, as he looked down in the waters, he wondered why whoever it was didn't want him at Hogwarts.