000. prologue

000||
PROLOGUE

Paw prints dotted the golden sands like icing sugar on a cake

Paw prints dotted the golden sands like icing sugar on a cake. Brightly, the beach glistened in the sunlight, and the golden fragments scattered around Bryony as they blew in the breeze.

Bryony smiled widely as she watched her dog, Milo sprint ahead of her, stopping now and then to smell a scent left by the other canines on the beautiful sand.

Her eyelids fluttered closed as she breathed in the salty aroma and her smile grew with each step she took, as she heard the pebbles crunch underneath her boots.

The beach was her place.

Her escape.

Sometimes Bryony would imagine she was the sienna, russet stones that carpeted the beach floor.

Strangely enough she envied them, they could stay peacefully on the golden sands and never be moved and yet their journey to the beach would have taken them through miles and miles of the deep, tumultuous ocean, a lifetime in a sense of being rounded and shaped by the thrashing waves only for the stones to at last find their home, a peaceful place to rest after a life of adventure.

Bryony opened her eyes slowly, and giggled as she watched Milo run into the crystal clear sea, her dog heard her laugh in the wind and ran towards her.

"Milo" she scolded as he shook the sea water onto her clothes.

She knelt down to stroke him, and he replied by licking her face, she threw her head back in laughter, wiping the drool off of her face with her sleeve.

She ran after her dog playfully, her feet leaving more prints, the whole beach would be decorated with their marks by the time they left.

Bryony stopped laughing, when she heard her dog's desperate barks, and her eyes were tore to a perplexing scene, a pack of boys sauntered onto the golden ground, they were laughing loudly and Bryony furrowed her eyebrows when she noticed the russet skinned boys were only in their shorts, nothing covering their upper half.

The sight confused her, it wasn't freezing but the wind tickled her like a knife edge, and she had to occasionally bring her jacket round her, to protect her from the chill.

Yet, these boys were practically naked.

She watched in horror as Milo ran over to the boys and started pawing them, he was barking loudly and she cringed when the boys laughed and teased her dog.