Chapter 6

John swallowed and looked at her with a hope in his eyes. Her face with dried tears on her cheeks turned to his. The man's eyes were moist, he actually felt really guilty. He was upset that he couldn't do anything about it. He couldn't hurt the people in the way like they hurt her. She lightly smiled to him and nodded. Then he got up and grabbed her hand to help the girl to do the same. She unexpectedly hugged him. The young woman needed the support and love and she knew that she can get it from the man, who was standing in front of her. She felt safe. John responded with the same and kissed her forehead.

▪️▪️▪️

While she was taking a shower, John packed her things. He wanted to help her, even though she admitted that she can do it on her own. When the cold water ran through her moist body, she tried to clean her memory. The girl realized that he was right. The past is past, no matter what happened, it can't depend on her happiness. Walking out the bathroom, she wore on herself a delicate bathrobe.

"I wish you could have stayed here for a few days more. Remind me, why is it so impossible?" John asked, giving her some clothes.

"Really?" she said with a laugh, showing short red dress with a big decolt.

"What? I can bet that you would look stunning in this"

"Yes for a dinner with you, no for coming back to overprotective cult leader" she responded as he rolled his eyes, but then he frozed.

"A dinner with me? That's a good idea. Tomorrow around 8 pm" he admitted, giving her another outfit.

"Well, I will think about it" she said, changing clothes. He scanned every part of her body. Chuckling, she rolled eyes at his reaction.

John took her suitcase and they walked downstairs after one of peggies told them that Joseph came. Before John opened the door, he stopped and took her around her waist.

"Behind this door our freedom end and we need to act like we used to, John" she said, staring at his deep eyes. They were so close that he could feel her heart, beating faster.

"That's why I want to enjoy our last moment, gorgeous" he responded, after she smiled and took his face in her little hands. Without hesitation, he lowered himself and kissed her on the lips on what she responded. She wished, it could last forever. Every move of his lips on hers or his hips being so close to the girl's hips. When they were done, they moved a bit away from each other, but they were still in embrace. She could feel his warm breath on her face. The young woman smiled and grabbed the suitcase and then the door handle, leaving The Baptist on the threshold of the house.

When she approached Joseph's car, she sighed and put the suitcase in the back of it. She climbed into the car and smiled to Joseph, who was sitting behind the steering wheel.

When they were already on the crossroad, she unexpectedly got a message.

  John📱
I miss you already <3

She laughed a bit and shooked her head. Suddenly she felt Joseph's gaze on her phone what made her turned off this immediately.

"Who was that?" The Father asked the girl with a smirk.

"No one important. Some message from a wizard" she admitted, trying to cheer him up. He chuckled and turned off the engine because they were already in front of their white house. They came out and walked into the building.

"Angel?" he asked, putting the keys down in the kitchen and trying to stop the girl when she was on the stairs.

"Huh?" she walked over him and smiled.

"Tomorrow after ceremony, I'm invited for dinner with Thompsons. You remember them right? I hope you will go with me" he admitted with a smile and peace, when through Angelina's body ran chills and her face became serious.

"Actually, I can't" she spoke quickly to him, remembering about her dinner with John.

"May I know why?" he frowned, putting his one hand in the pocket.

"John... asked me to go out with him" she was so nervous but she couldn't lie to him again.

"I knew it.. I freaking knew it!" he immediately responded, raising his voice as he shook his hand and took his head in hands. It wasn't a happy reaction. She could've expected that. Then through Joseph's head ran millions of thoughts, like "what the heck did John think?".

"But listen it isn-"

"He's NOT good for you, Angelina" these words came out from his mouth in loud tone, while pointing on her with a frustration. She raised her eyebrows. From stressed she became angry. She laughed with irony and touched her forehead incredulously. He broke the borders.

"Not good for me? SO WHO'S THEN GOOD FOR ME, HUH? He is your BROTHER, Joseph, BROTHER. He is the person who you supposed to trust the most!" she cried.

"And, I do! But HAVE YOU SEEN how he treat people?! HAVE YOU SEEN how sadistic he is?!" he shouted at her so seriously.

"It isn't because of him, nor his character! And you know that! It is because of people who abused, hurted him WHEN YOU DID NOTHING ABOUT IT. You freaking LIED to me!! You said he is busy, you said he is the best lawyer, YOU SAID he's okay..." she shouted, walking towards him and pointing her finger at his chest till she touched it.

"...But he wasn't" she whispered as tear fell from her eye, running through her delicate cheek.

"It isn't like tha-" he subdued his voice and looked at her with guilt. Yes, it was truth. He never told her about John. Not everything. But he was trying to do something, he was trying to save him but the damned government didn't want to accept that.

"SO HOW IS IT LIKE?" she shouted and ran to the stairs. Joseph sighed and looked at the floor.

"Jacob told me" he admitted raising his gaze again. She froze. The girl expected everything except that. Except freaking that.

"About what?" she swallowed kinda knowing the answer. The young woman turned back to him and gazed at the man.

"Austin?" he said very quietly in comparison with his last words. The girl was in a shock. She wasn't sure what was happening back then.

"When?" she asked with tears in her eyes.

"Yesterday, listen I-"

"Don't, Joseph, don't. Don't feel pity, nor sorry. Don't feel guilty about it or anything. The past can't decide about our future. It is my fault. I lied to you but I want you to know, that I lied not without purpose. It was a time when your wife had the accident, when everything seemed to ruin in your life. I didn't want to put the wood in your fireplace, I wanted to stand side by side with you and face it with you" she spoke much calmer. He nodded with still guilt in his eyes. When he heard that, he didn't know what to do. He was angry at himself for doing nothing, for being not enough interested in her life. It's truth, it was hard time but how could he failed his little girl. He blamed himself for that, not her.

"I have one wish, a favor. Let me be happy. I can bet you that John is good for me. Give him a chance, give us a chance. I don't require you to accept it now, it will come with time" she told with a hope in her eyes.

"God will show us the truth" he responded and she continued to walk upstairs.

If you will confused, I explain. When Joseph told John ask her for a date, he didn't know about her ex-boyfriend. Now he changed his mind, "father instinct" lighted in his mind, so he didn't want her to have any relationships, especially with his sadistic brother.

Thank you for reading anyway! Love you ❤️