11. This Has To Be a Joke

*Not Edited*

Stella Rose Wilder-

"Harry, is my toothbrush in there by the sink?" I called as I rifled through my toiletry bag. I was pretty certain I'd packed it, but during my double check, I couldn't find it. I heard the toilet flush and the sync run before the door clicked open and Harry appeared holding my pink toothbrush in his hand. "Thanks." I sighed.

Harry chuckled, coming up behind me to wrap his arms around my shoulder and pull me into his chest. "Relax, baby." He murmured, kissing my jaw as I let my head fall back onto his shoulder, instantly relaxing my tensed muscles just from the simple hug. "We're just going for the weekend. The kids are going to be fine and we are going to have fun."

Harry and I were headed on a weekend trip to Oregon to go to my cousin's baby shower. Harry had a meeting with some local artists he was interested in signing to his label that he scheduled when he found out I was going so we could go together. The kids are staying with Luke for the weekend- only because my parents weren't able to watch them- and I had been on edge all week at the thought of leaving them both with him again.

It had been a few weeks since Luke had taken Ford for the day, which had gone well and eased my worries slightly, but knowing Stevie was still hesitant around Luke worried me.

(A/N fun fact: Harry does have his own label according to an article I read the other day and he plans on switching himself to his own label once his Columbia Records contract is up!)

"I know," I huffled leaning back forward to finish organizing my suitcase.

Harry's hands covered mine, pulling me away from the suitcase before taking my place and flipping the top over to zip it closed, "You've gone through it three times now. It's going to be fine. Go check on the kids while I bring this to the car. Luke texted you saying he was on his way a couple minutes ago."

I agreed, reluctantly, rising to my tiptoes to kiss his cheek and say, "Thank you," before walking down the hall to find Stevie playing with Ford on the floor of her room. "Hey, lovelies, are you guys all packed?"

I had commissioned Stevie to help me by packing her's and Ford's toys for the weekend. I could see the duffle bag I'd given her nearly full, but unzipped next to her bed.

"Yes, Mommy! I packed my favorite toys and my tablet and I put Ford's favorite toys and books and his lovey." Stevie proudly stated, referring to Ford's baby blanket as his, 'lovey.'

Ford cooed, grinning up at me as he pushed himself to his feet and wobbled over to me, wrapping his chubby arms around my leg before I lifted him up into my arms.

I heard the echo of the doorbell from the hall before Harry yelled up that he would get it. I told Stevie to grab the bag and bring it with her down stairs.

As we stepped into the foyer, Harry came over to take the duffel bag from Stevie, which she was dragging behind her, while Luke stood stiffly by the door.

"Hello," I greeted, switching Ford to my other hip.

"Hey," he nodded back, picking up the now two bags sitting by the front door and holding them over their arms, "I still have the carseats so I don't need yours."

"Okay," I replied, the tense vibe only getting worse the longer we stood there, "Well, we should be back around dinner time on Monday, but you don't need to take them to school or daycare Monday. I already called the school."

"Alright, we better go. My parents are meeting us for brunch so we've gotta get going. And I know you guys have to get to the airport."

"Yeah, okay." I pursed my lips before turning to Stevie and bending down to give her a hug, Ford still in my arms, "Bye, sweetie. I love you. I'll see you Monday."