Chapter 50

"It's never easy to erase someone from our memory but we can try to move on."

As the night faded into day, Atharva felt the gentle warmth of the sun's rays seeping through the curtains, caressing his tired face

As the night faded into day, Atharva felt the gentle warmth of the sun's rays seeping through the curtains, caressing his tired face. Sleep had eluded him, and weariness permeated every bone in his body.

With a weary sigh, he snuggled closer to Aahana, who slept peacefully beside him like a contented child. Closing his eyes, he hoped for a respite from the tumultuous thoughts that plagued his mind, the events of the night playing on an endless loop. Eventually, he made a firm decision - he would visit Dr. PK Gupta one last time today.

Aahana stirred, and Atharva feigned sleep, sensing her presence slipping away. Suppressing a groan, he buried his face deeper into the pillow.

Aahana gazed affectionately at his sleeping figure before making her way to the closet. She grabbed a blue kurti and black leggings before entering the bathroom and shutting the door behind her. She didn't know why, but she was floating with glee. When she emerged from the bathroom, she still had a massive smile. She hummed to herself and strode to the kitchen.

"Good morning!" Aahana greeted Gita, who was busy flipping pancakes on the stove. She poured herself a cup of coffee before making juice for everyone, while Gita effortlessly carried the freshly made pancakes to the dining room.

Entering the dining room, Aahana found her family already seated. Atharva's head lifted, and she blushed at his warm smile. Quickly averting her gaze, she busied herself with arranging the table and exchanging greetings with Harshvardhan and Nisha.

Amused, Atharva chuckled and teased, "Aahana, could I trouble you for a cup of coffee instead?"

"Of course," she replied, her voice tinged with shyness, as she retrieved the juice glass.

"I'll take care of it," Gita offered, swiftly heading back to the kitchen before Aahana could object. Soon, she returned, and for the first time in weeks, Aahana noticed the flicker of something in Gita's eyes as she placed the coffee mug on the table with trembling hands. Despite her fleeting concern, Aahana chose to ignore it, taking her seat next to Atharva and savoring the fluffy pancakes smothered in chocolate syrup.

Once they finished their breakfast, Atharva nodded at Aahana, and her cheeks flushed once more. Rising from their seats, they said their goodbyes to Harshvardhan and Nisha. Aahana instructed Gita on what to prepare for lunch before they drove to their office, bracing themselves for a hectic Monday morning. Atharva was lost in his own thoughts, and Aahana remained silent, a bashful smile gracing her lips whenever his eyes met hers. She couldn't help but feel like a schoolgirl who had finally captured her crush's attention.

Arriving at the office, Maria rushed out from her desk, enveloping Aahana in a warm embrace. "Good morning, dear."

"Good morning, Maria!" Aahana reciprocated the warmth, her smile radiating genuine care. "How are you feeling today?"

"I'm good now. Just a bit tired," she replied.

Atharva shook his head. "I'll extend your holidays. Please take rest." The concern in his eyes made Maria sigh. She patted his cheek gently, nodding. "Okay, but only for a week."

Atharva nodded back and smiled. "Thank you."

Maria went back to her desk, picked up her bag, and waved at them, disappearing out of their sight.

"She is the sweetest." Aahana smiled to herself as she stepped into the elevator. "I love her."

Atharva nodded in agreement and grabbed her arm, halting her. "Uh, Aahana. I actually have some work. I'll see you later?"

Aahana frowned at him, her eyebrows knitted in confusion. "This is where you work?"

"Some other work outside?" He would tell her later, he thought.

"Okay." She gave him a hesitant smile.

He pulled her into a hug, pressing his lips to her forehead. "Trust me." He watched her get into the elevator and he let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. He was going to meet Dr. Gupta after quite some time and his heartbeat was racing erratically. He didn't want to go but he had to if he wanted to know why her touch brought back the old memories.

He remembered her having touched them before too while applying ointment but that never made him feel fear and anxiety until now.

When he told the same to Dr. Gupta, he nodded understandingly. He didn't give any medication, but he explained that it was because he was stepping into a new stage in their marriage life and since he had hardly been around women, this intimacy was triggering the old memories because other than this with Aahana that with Urvashi was the only closeness he had ever experienced. So, the scars and cuts he had inflicted upon himself were now reminding him of why he had gone to such an extent in the first place. He needed to take things slow and overcome his fear.

Dr. Gupta did give another ointment to heal the marks, and Atharva willingly took it because he didn't want Aahana to see them.

He drove back home for lunch and found Aahana in the hall room, pacing around and glancing at the clock. Her head shot up in his direction when she saw him enter, and her eyes narrowed immediately.

"What took you so long?" She crossed her arms across her chest.

He placed his laptop bag on the table and settled down on the couch. "Somewhere."

Aahana stared at him blankly, urging him to continue but when he didn't speak and stared back at her, she asked. "Where exactly is this somewhere?"

Atharva tried hard not to smile. He patted the space beside him and Aahana begrudgingly sat, huffing.

"Doc's clinic."

Aahana frowned. "What? Why? You did say you won't g-"

"I know." He interrupted her. "But I thought it would be best if I met him one last time."

"Oh." Aahana nodded. "What did he say?"

"Things I should know."

"Atharva!"

"Alright, alright!" He shook his head, caressing her hair. "He told me why I'm having flashbacks and he gave me a cream to recover my scars."

"But I don't have any problem with them."

He smiled. "I don't want to live with them. They remind me of her."

Aahana sighed. "Okay, but why didn't you take me?" She snuggled to his chest and closed her eyes.

"I thought you'd feel awkward there." He looked down at her tenderly and brushed a strand of hair away from her face.

"I'll go anywhere with you."

"Will you?"

"Yeah."

"How about a dinner date?"

She pulled away from him to give a sheepish smile, her eyes apologetic. "I have invited Jay and Dinesh for dinner tonight."

"Lunch. We are going for a lunch date then." He nodded firmly when Aahana opened her mouth to object again.

"Fine," she gave in and strode to their room to get ready. Atharva smiled and followed her to the room, shutting the door behind him.

Don't forget to vote and comment! ❤