Chapter Twelve

(Erin’s P.O.V.) 

“Thomas, I think it’s time to go,” Mrs. Jenson said in a strained voice. It was getting late after all. Thomas ran over and hugged me around the middle and it took my everything not to cry.

“I love you Erin,” he said in his little voice. I kissed the top of his head and held on tight.

“I love you too Thomas. I love you so much,” I breathed. He let go and ran over to Harry and tackled him.

“I’ll miss you Harry! Will you visit me?” Thomas asked, his eyes getting wide. Harry grinned but it was very forced.

“Of course I will. I’ll come to the hospital as soon as I can, Thomas,” Harry said. He gave Thomas one last hug and he ran out the front door with his mother.

I shut the door behind Thomas and took a huge breath and leaned forward, pressing my head against the door. This couldn’t be happening. Thomas could not be dying, he was only nine. It wasn’t fair.

I walked back into the living room to see Harry with his head in his hands. Harry wasn’t – no – he couldn’t be…crying? He sniffed and wiped his eyes and looked up at me and forced the weakest smile I’d ever seen.

“It’s not fair,” I breathed, my voice breaking. He jumped off the couch and ran to me quickly and wrapped me up in a hug. I let myself break down on his shoulder and he started to rub circles on my back.

“I know, babe. It isn’t fair – ”

“Did you just call me babe?” I asked in a nasal voice. He froze.

“Maybeeee…”

I smirked. “Well don’t make that mistake again,” I said sniffing. He laughed.

“Who said it was a mistake?” he asked in a husky voice. I pulled out of the hug quickly after that and grabbed a blanket from on top of the sofa and wrapped it around me tightly.

“He can’t die, Harry. He just…he can’t,” I mumbled. Then I buried my face in the blanket and started to cry. Not the soft, nearly silent crying; this was full out sobbing, the type of sobs that let’s you know the person is heartbroken.

“Erin, please don’t cry,” Harry whispered. I didn’t even respond, just continued sobbing. I felt Harry’s presence beside me and he wrapped his arm around me and I curled into his chest, letting my makeup run on his shirt.

“Shut the door

Turn the light off

I wanna be with you

I wanna feel your love

I wanna lay beside you

I cannot hide it

Even though I try

Heart beats harder

Time escapes me

Trembling hands touch skin

It makes this

Harder

And the tears stream

Down my face

You know I’ll be

Your life

Your voice

Your reason to be…”

I drifted into sleep to the sound of Harry’s angelic voice.

(Harry’s P.O.V.)

Erin was asleep by the end of the song. I breathed deeply and just hummed, trying not to cry. I didn’t cry often. I hadn’t cried for almost a year, but it just didn’t seem right that Thomas was dying.