Chapter 50 *NEW*

AUDIOBOOK NOTE: DON'T MISS THE EXPLOSIVELY INTENSE AUDIOBOOK PERFORMANCE FOR THIS CHAPTER. REGARDLESS IF YOU'RE A WEEKLY LISTENER OR SOME WHO HAS NEVER LISTENED BEFORE kaelking12 CAPTURED THE EMOTIONAL RAWNESS OF THIS CHAPTER INCREDIBLY WELL. IF YOU LISTEN ALONG YOU ALSO WON'T BREEZE THROUGH THE CHAPTER AS QUICKLY & GET THE FULL EXPERIENCE! KRISTEN PUTS IN HOURS OF WORK & EMOTIONAL PREPARATION TO CAPTURE THE CHARACTERS FOR YOU GUYS, SO WE HOPE YOU TUNE IN!

 IF YOU LISTEN ALONG YOU ALSO WON'T BREEZE THROUGH THE CHAPTER AS QUICKLY & GET THE FULL EXPERIENCE! KRISTEN PUTS IN HOURS OF WORK & EMOTIONAL PREPARATION TO CAPTURE THE CHARACTERS FOR YOU GUYS, SO WE HOPE YOU TUNE IN!

Elias

Time slows.

Everything shifting from blur to focus.

Swaying.

Detaching me from what's real.

Disconnecting me from the present.

Catching me off guard and cutting the air from my lungs.

I don't know what I'm hearing.

I don't know what Kai's saying.

Or if I heard him right at all.

Sound's phasing in and out from muffled noises to high-pitched deafening quiet.

Ten seconds ago, this entire courtyard was filled with noise. Me screaming, her sprinting, people passing us by living their lives outside of our chaos.

And then everything went quiet.

Everything stopped because of him.

Because of two words.

A lie.

His lie.

His mistake.

His misunderstanding.

It has to be.

I need it to be.

I need him to stop staring at me with pity and shock painted all over his face. I need him to laugh or smile or tell me that he's playing some sick, twisted joke just to get back at me. I need him to break the silence so that I can breathe.

I can't breathe.

I try sucking in a mouthful of air, but it dies in my throat.

My chest's burning, like there's too much oxygen inside it, but nothing feels like enough. The tree-lined courtyard tilts off its axis and takes me with it, so I grab onto Kai to stay on my feet. He throws a hand around my shoulder to keep me steady, leads me over to the nearest bench, and sits me down. But the second I hit the seat, I feel like I'm sinking through the floor.