• A New Life •

Start from the beginning

"Mrs Jackson, you are 6 centimetres dilated, so you are over half way through labour" he said with a reassuring smile. Your eyes widened as you realised that you had been having contractions all day but just didn't realise.

"The baby will be born within the next 6 hours, I will be back soon to check up on you again" he continued before leaving you and Michael together. You turned to face Michael, fear evident on your face.

"M-Michael I can't do this! I'm frightened Michael!" you said in a panicked tone, but Michael cupped your face and tenderly stroked your cheeks with his thumbs.

"Y/N you are the strongest woman I know, you are stronger than you know. And I will be by your side the whole time, my darling" he whispered, his loving eyes searching your face, which soon settled a little into a more relaxed expression. 

"And just think, my love, it won't be long now until we see our baby" he smiled brightly at you, which you attempted to reciprocate. With that you pressed a loving kiss to his lips, feeling more sure that you could get through this if Michael was with you.

The next few hours were inevitably painful, contractions worsening until they were unbearable. It had been to late, and potentially to dangerous for the baby for you to get an epidural at this point, but you weren't going to let that deter you. If the safety and wellbeing of yours and Michael's child depended on that, then you were determined to give birth to this baby with no pain relief, no matter what. Michael reminded you how strong you were and helped you breath through the pain that was causing you to scream out at times.

Finally came the time to push. Michael squeezed your hand in his and stroked your hair as the doctor told you this and instructed you to only push when he told you to. Your initial reaction was anxiety; you weren't ready for yet more pain, but Michael's tender touch and presence assured you that it would be okay, no matter what.

Michael watched on in awe as you began to push, transfixed by your strength and coaxed you along lovingly as the doctor continually told you how well you were doing. Michael held a cold cloth to your head as he let you squeeze his hand with each push.

"You're so strong my love, you're amazing" he breathed in amazement at your resilience. You let out one last pained cry before the sound of a baby's wails filled the room and you cried out again, this time in relief.

"Congratulations Mr and Mrs Jackson, you have a beautiful, healthy baby girl" the doctor said with a smile, holding your daughter up for you to see. Instinctively, you held your hands out, sobbing as she was placed on your bare chest. Michael was sobbing along with you, pressing a loving kiss to your forehead before wrapping his arm around and looking down at your daughter lovingly.

"Our little girl..." he breathed as you both watched her instantly relax against your chest. After some time Michael cut the umbilical cord and your daughter was quickly cleaned up by the midwife, soon returned to you.

"I can't believe this, you're so incredible" Michael breathed and he looked at you with loving eyes as you lay back slightly against the pillows, flashing him a weak smile.

"She did wonderfully, giving birth to a 7lb baby with no pain relief is not an easy task!" the doctor commented as he filled out the paperwork, soon leaving you both in peace.

"I'm so proud of you, my darling" he cooed, looking at you once more before moving his gaze to your daughter. You both laughed a little as she began to hiccup, and looked down at her so adoringly. She let out a little smile, and although it was likely to be due to gas, you smiled as well as you thought to yourself how, even as a newborn, her smile resembled Michael's.

"She has your smile, I can already tell" you whispered and looked up at Michael lovingly, "not to mention your hair" you continued, stroking the masses of dark brown hair atop her head. Michael chuckled and stroked the baby's cheek so softly and pressed a tiny kiss to her cheek, causing her to open her eyes. You both gasped as her large dark blue eyes looked up at the two of you.

"Her eyes are all you, though" Michael commented, examining the shape of them and her long eyelashes. "She's gonna be so beautiful, just like her mother" he smiled softly down at her, and then you. Even though you and Michael had been together for years, words like these still managed to make you blush, and now was no exception.

"Have you decided on a name?" the midwife asked gently after quietly entering the room, ready to perform some necessary tests on your daughter. Michael turned to you and stroked you hair, his loving eyes searching yours, "What do you think, sweetheart?"

"Well I have got an idea..." you trailed off as you alternately looked at your daughter and then up at Michael. "I'll love anything you choose" he softly assured and you smiled lovingly up at him before examining your daughter, your smile widening as you thought.

"Anika...Anika Maria Jackson" you breathed, looking up at Michael for approval. His eyes scanned over your daughter for a moment before his smile widened, lighting up the room.

"Anika Maria...our little Anika Maria. It's perfect, just like her" he beamed before pressing a deep, loving kiss to your lips. You smiled against his embrace as Michael brought his hand up to your cheek.

"And just like you, my love"

A/N: Thank you so much for reading, Moonwalkers! I hope you enjoyed, feel free to let me know your thoughts in the comments!