Chapter Nineteen

Want to hear what I was listening to while writing this chapter? Check out the external link! 

Noah to the right --->

SOTC -- Not A Bad Thing - Justin Timberlake

***********

Later that night when everyone went home, I made my way to the kitchen. Since it was almost 11 at night, Cook had gone home for the evening. Deciding to make some coffee for Noah, Conner, and Brent as well as myself, I grabbed what I needed and let the pot percolate.

Fifteen minutes later the coffee was done and I poured four cups. Heading up the stairs with the coffee, creamer, and sugar on a serving tray, I quietly knocked on the door of the office. “Come in,” I slowly pushed the door open. Noah looked up from the papers on the desk and smiled at me.

“Oh thank you God!” Conner said as I set the tray down. “I’ve been begging him for the last hour for a coffee break.” He greedily took a cup and poured a copious amount of creamer in it. I just shook my head and handed Brent and Noah a cup. “Did Gina go home?” he asked after taking a sip.

“She and Melina left about an hour ago,” I replied taking a drink out of my own cup. “I told them that y’all would be up here most of the night.” Brent grunted and looked out the window.

The three men exchanged glances and I felt bad for intruding on their meeting. Placing my cup back on the tray I stood, grabbed the tray and headed for the door. “Thank you Taylor,” Noah said. I merely nodded and opened the door before going back to the kitchen.

Placing the creamer back in the fridge and the sugar in the pantry, I sat down at the island. I looked out the window into the dark backyard. Ever since it had been revealed that I was the Alpha’s mate things had gotten way out of hand. It seemed that everyone had something against us and didn’t want us to be happy. For once I wished that Noah and I could be normal and do the things that I saw the other mated couples doing. Like going out on dates, holding hands in public, actually going out during the day, and other things.

But sadly we were not like the others for at least three reasons. The first reason was that Noah was the Alpha and he had things to take care of; the second being that I was the daughter of one of the most notorious Hunters in the country and no one liked that; and the third reason being that because I was technically a Halfling, there were certain things that everyone else could do, but that I couldn’t.

Sure I had my wolf and I could shift, but I couldn’t fight because I was so out of tune with her. It was hard for me to let go and give her the reins. I also didn’t heal as quickly as a normal wolf, but according to Dr. Maynard, because I still had human DNA, I would never heal right away. She did say that my healing time would drop significantly if it was minor like a bruise or cut, but something more serious would still take days or hours.

I could feel my eyes getting heavier and heavier with each passing minute. I put my empty cup in the sink reminding myself to wash it up in the morning and went up to bed. The light was still on the Noah’s office and I could hear Conner cracking a stupid joke.

Peeling off my dirty clothes I pulled on some sweats and a sweatshirt since it was a little cool in the house. Again because I was a Halfling, I also didn’t run at as high of a body temperature. The temperature in the house was set at something comfortable for everyone else while I was cold. But that didn’t bother me because I could layer on clothing and shed them if needed.