Chapter 24

Beth's POV

Beth's POV

The car swerves along the main highway towards the bridge with the full speed. Kaiser steers the wheel with high hopes of an escape from the two black Sedan cars behind. We are in a situation of no return. A dire.

While my hands clench to the roof handle, I press my back against the leather chair. My feet on the carpeted car floor. My eyes shut and my teeth grit, squeezing my face like the baker molding its dough to shape. But not mine. Incomprehensible screams.

Kaiser presses the horn to prevent further accidents. Further. That means we have already made before we reach here. The red Wigo car hit the other white Ranger. The latter clash to the other jeepneys parked along the sidewalks.

The race doesn't stop until the one black car is approaching us. Kaiser beeps. Beeps. Beeps. Steers the car to avoid it, but the driver seems to have no plan to take his turn. Rather a suicide. Left. Right. Left. Right. Speeds up.

Everything is a blur in my eyes. I couldn't see what's in front of me anymore and the situation we're in. I place my life in Kaiser's hands. In his steering wheel. He cusses more words but not in my language as loud as he could. I grunt as he increases more speed trying t crash the truck into the car nearing us.

"Ahhhhh!" We both yell our lungs out.

The screeching sounds vibrate my eardrums as my body slams to the window glass pressing my face in it. My body shakes, slamming to and fro with the seat belt buckled in my seat. Branches slap the car and leaves wipe their selves on the surface. I see nothing but the view in circles. The vehicle rolls many times until it stops as the tires touch the muddy riverbank.

When I turn my head to face Kaiser. His face shocked on what happened, wide-eyed. His fingers fidget for a while before he looked at me. He taps my shoulders, shaking me hard. "Beth, are you sleeping?" My eyebrows furrow, wondering why he says illogical. "Beth, wake up. Mr. Velez asks you a question. Wake up!" The whole world shakes and warps.

I raise my head out of surprise, gasping for air. I glance at my classmates staring at me as if they are waiting for something from me. I tilt my head with a big question in my head. Until my eyes land on Mr. Velez's frowning face with big disappointment.

He holds the book like a knife, pressing it on top of the podium he stood during the class lecture. His eyebrow knit together, raising one. He scoffs while he plants his hand on his waist. I stand. I press my lips, trying to release the sudden tension with his intense glare. "I-I'm sorry, Mr. Dizon. I fell asleep," I say, almost stammering.

He clucks. "You know, Ms. Santos, it would let this pass if you're grades are passable. But in your case, it's the opposite. So, rather than slacking off in my class, please..." He pauses and clucks without losing his sight on me. "...You're a graduating student. You need a good GPA rate to earn a diploma. Please, don't disappoint your hard-working parents because of your senseless daydream."