Chapter 14 - Breaking angel wings

Aspen's POV

I stretched out and opened my eyes. When I looked at the other side of the bed, it was empty; Serena had already gone.

I got up and went to the bathroom. After taking a shower, I put on a white shirt and black denim jeans.

Someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." I said.

The door opened and Elva walked in. Her expression was serious. She closed the door behind her and folded her arms over her chest as she walked towards me.

"Do you like Serena?" She asked, looking into my eyes.

My eyes widened. She caught me off guard. I cleared my throat as I muttered, trying to look expressionless. "What?"

"Do you like Serena?" She repeated

"Where did that come from?" I asked, running my hand through my hair, avoiding her gaze.

She sighed. "I saw her leaving your room this morning, and I am sure you didn't just talk. The hickey on her neck agrees with me too." She gave me a knowing look.

I sighed, running my hand through my hair. "Don't tell anyone. Especially to our parents." I warned her.

"Why? Don't you love her? Then what is the matter if they know or not?" She teased me, giving me a mocking look.

"Elva!" I warned her.

She sighed. "Don't give her false hopes, Aspen." She said.

"Why does everyone repeat it?" I snapped, running my hand through my hair.

She raised her eyebrow, giving me a knowing smile. "Maybe we know you very well."

I rolled my eyes.

"I don't want to see my best friend heartbroken by my brother." She said. I bit my lower lip without saying anything. "She loves you. Yes, she denies it, but I know she is in love with you. But you..." She shook her head, sighing. "I know you, Aspen. You don't love her. You just use her like other girls. But she is different. You probably know it, too; we have grown up together. She is delicate and sensitive. Don't break her heart, please." She gave me a begging look.

I looked away without saying anything, thinking what she had told.

She gave me a compassionate look and said. "If you don't feel anything, stay away from her, please." Then she left.

I breathed deeply and sat down on the bed. I held my head in my hands, thinking.

I hadn't left my room today. I was thinking and thinking. I made my decision; I would break up with Serena. Elva was right; I couldn't continue it. I didn't want to use her anymore. She was so innocent.

I grabbed my phone and sent a message to her asking her to meet up with me in the backyard.

I was pacing back and forth while waiting for Serena. Serena gave me a bright smile as she approached me. She hugged me tightly. I pulled back, biting my lower lip. She looked at me, confused.

Forgive me, my sunshine.

"I think we should stop it." I said, placing my hands into my pockets. She gave me a puzzled look. "It is getting farther. We should stop it before it gets messed up." I said coldly.

She looked at me, stunned. "Why?" She asked, depressed. Her voice was barely audible. "Did I do something wrong?" She asked me as her eyes welled up.

I breathed deeply. "No, it is me who did something wrong. I don't want to hurt you, Serena." I gave her an apologetic look. "So it will be good if we stop it. I don't love you." Tears ran down her cheeks as she pursed her lips together, looking at me with hurtful eyes. "And I think by continuing this relationship, I am giving you false hopes. Let's just stay friends." I said and left without letting her say anything.

We were in the living room waiting for Serena. She hadn't come back home after our conversation. Her phone was turned off. I was worried about her. It was getting dark.

Dammit! Where are you? I hissed under my breath, looking through the window.

Elva approached me, her arms folded over her chest.

"What have you done?" She asked in a low voice, giving me a death glare.

"Nothing. I just told her what you had wanted." I muttered, shrugging my shoulders. "I told her we should stop it." I informed.

She breathed deeply. "I hope it is not too late, and she can pull herself together quickly." She said, worried.

I looked through the window without saying anything, lost in my thoughts. I felt bad; my heart tightened.

Suddenly, the door opened. Everyone rushed towards the door. I breathed deeply, feeling relieved as I saw Serena all in one piece. At least, physically.

Thank God.

Her father rushed towards her and pulled her into his embrace. She hugged him back. Her expression was sad.

When our eyes met, she averted her gaze. Then her mother hugged her.

"Where have you been?" Her father asked.

"I lost in the woods." She replied.

"We were so worried." Elva told as she hugged Serena. She forced a smile and hugged her back.

I was watching her from afar, my hands in my pockets. My heart was aching. I was cursing myself with my inner voice again and again. Seeing her in this state made me feel awful. I hated myself. I hated myself for breaking her heart. She was so dear to me, but I hurt her. I broke my angel's wings.

You are a real bastard, Aspen!

"Umm....I am tired. I am going to my room." Serena said, interrupting my thoughts.

"Yes, dear. Rest. If you need something, call me." Her mother said, stroking her hair. She gave her a slight smile as she nodded.

She looked into my eyes, giving me a loathing look, making my heart sink. She averted her gaze and went upstairs.

I watched her leave, feeling helpless. But it was the right decision. I didn't want to keep on playing with her feelings. But why do I feel bad?