Day Off

Tamie

"It's the day off," Iris seems excited.

I am still blinking at her before I glance back to Rage that does not seem happy. Iris told me we are to spend the day together "with the girls" and I am not sure how to react to that.

I am not in the mood for anything to be honest for these past days. After that perfect day in San Francisco with Wood. And that abrupt way he dismissed me after that. He hasn't called, he hasn't come by and I am sure we will never have that day on the beach.

"OK, I need to come clean on something," Iris hesitates. "The Riders own several enterprises."

I nod.

"One of them is an escort business," she says softly.

The blood is drained from my face. Escort! What a fancy word for what truly lies underneath. I am pretty sure Freddie would call the torturous warehouse an escort too. Rage shifts uneasily on his chair and we exchange one glance. I don't know if he has told Iris about me but the guilty way he looks at me tells me he hasn't.

"It is a nice place," Iris tries and I chuckle cruelly.

I get up and do the dishes to keep Iris from seeing the panic on my face. All men are the same and though Iris seems to be revered by her husband, I haven't met the others to know what they really are. No, not Wood, I decide but even that is not a strong voice in my head.

"Tamie, I promise you, it is not what it sounds like. The girls are happy there and..."

"Happy?" I drop a glass I was holding and it shutters in a million pieces. "Happy to be sold off like meat? Happy to have random strangers in them? How can they be happy?" I am shrilling by the end of it.

Rage growls, hits his head and rushes out of the kitchen. This is too much for him. And it sure is too much for me. I stare into Iris's eyes for a while before I lean to clean up the mess I created.

"Tamie, I don't know what happened to you," she almost whispers and I brace, "and I am here whenever you are ready to talk about it. But trust me when I tell you that none of the Valkyries would set foot in there if it was not safe. Especially me."

That last sentence makes me freeze. I dread to think what has happened to my little flower when I was gone, while she thought I was dead. What did that sick man do to her? The scars on her back...

"Please, come with me. The rest of the Valkyries are dying to meet you," Iris pleads.

Guilt grabs me and I shut my eyes firmly. Iris has seen me the days I am staying with them. I may act normal but I am withdrawn, closed up. I am not really back, not to her. Only time I felt alive was with Wood and he is not around anymore.

"I will come," I say unable to hear her so much in pain.

"That is so great! And it is a beautiful day to spend out on the pool!"

"Pool?"

"Oh, Tamie," Iris smiles. "You have no idea!"

***

And Iris was right. When we reach the hacienda-styled mansion, I admit it was not what I expected. Though I have been in nice places that reek of darkness before, this one seems so fresh and bright that it makes me want to check what's inside.

Iris walks up to the door and rings the bell and after a while a young man opens cautiously. I stiffen when I see the gun in his hand but Iris just smiles at him and he opens the door widely.

"Morning, Jab!"

"Morning, Iris. You are the last one in. How come?" The boy asks.

"Have you met my sister? This is Tamie. Tamie, this is Jab and he will be our security for the day."