⚫Chapter 2⚫

Two days had passed since the mall incident, and it had been, quite literally, all I was thinking about.

"Mom, something weird happened at the mall," I began, as we embarked on a post-dinner walk. Our pack had just finished having our big dinner, a tradition we partook in every month, and my mother and I had decided to go for a walk. "You know, after you kicked us out."

"We didn't kick you out," she corrected. "And what happened?"

"I met this guy."

"Oh, you've already met a guy?" she asked me sounding genuinely surprised.

"No mom," I chuckled. "It's not like that." I was never interested in dating throughout high school and it didn't matter if I was because my parents had told me to wait until I got to university. "Well we didn't really meet. We never even got to exchange words. It was more like he was staring at me. I don't think I've ever seen him before."

"But dear, everyone stares at you." That was what Nathan said. "Yes, but I don't think he was staring at me because of my hair. It was as if he knew something about me. Is that possible?"

My mother stopped and turned to look at me. "What did he look like? Was he human?" she inquired.

I looked down at the ground rethinking our encounter. I had no idea if he was human or not.

I began to describe the mysterious person to my mom. "He was tall with an athletic build," I began, picturing his figure in my head. "He... he also had long hair. His eyes..." I hesitated, getting lost in the memory of his intense gaze. There was something mesmerizing about his eyes, as if they held countless secrets. I blinked, realizing that I was in fact daydreaming. "I think he was human," I finally concluded. If he was a werewolf, my friends would've mentioned something, unless they were too preoccupied to even notice his scent.

"Well, if you see him again, maybe you should consider approaching him. Maybe he does have answers," she suggested. "Of course, be careful, dear. Make sure Nathan or the boys are nearby, just in case he's no good."

Maybe he did have some answers. This was an interesting feeling. Throughout my eighteen years of living, not a single answer had surfaced concerning my origin. It had reached a point where I had given up my pursuit of truth, despite my parents telling me they would never give up. I didn't want to be disappointed. Avoiding those emotions seemed like the the safer choice. I didn't cry often, but when I did, it was very hard for me to stop.

The way one responded to something revealed their character. I wasn't a weak person. I knew when to stand up for myself and when to correct others when they were in the wrong. Yet, at times, I was afraid to speak up, especially amongst werewolves. I was the outsider, the only one who was human.

Thinking about how my life would be different if I was raised by humans was something I thought about a lot too. Would I be more confident? Would I be more assertive because I was like everyone else? Nathan often had to tell me to speak. I wasn't shy, but rather careful. Stepping on people's shoes was not something I wanted to do. Clashing with others was also not a desire of mine. I liked peace. If I ever argued with my friends, I was usually the first one to resolve the situation. Going to bed angry, upset, or annoyed wasn't good. I would rather go to bed with a settled mind and heart.

I was getting older; another thought that drove me insane. I remember, as if it was yesterday, my friends and I going to the park after school and how much we had played. We were so carefree at that age. We knew nothing about the real world. I missed those days. When I didn't care about anyone's opinion of me because my friends, parents, and pack family made me feel safe. But now, I needed to be independent. Going to places alone. Doing things alone. I was terrified, but this was all a part of growing up.