Promises

(JESSIE'S POV)

I watched as Katy's fingers delicately touched a blooming rose from the rose bush in my garden.

I'd been watching her wandering figure for about an hour now, she hadn't seen my backyard so she was taking the opportunity to explore it.

She smelt, touched, and looked at the many different breeds of flowers I had.

I was zoned out until I heard her say something.

"What was that?" I asked.

She didn't answer, instead she turned to face me holding one of her fingers, and made puppy dogs eyes.

Instead of asking what happened, I looked at the flowers she was around.

It just so happened that she was by my thorny rose bush so I was able to figure out what had happened without asking her.

I motioned for her to sit on my lap and she was on top of me within a flash.

"Did the baby try to pick a rose?" I asked in a baby voice while smiling.

She nodded her head while pouting at me, causing me to laugh.

"Did the baby forget that rose bushes have thorns on them?" I asked in the same voice.

Once again she nodded.

"Does the baby want me to kiss it better?"

She nodded and I complied. gently pecking the red spot on her finger.

"All better?"

Shaking her head no, she smiled, and puckered her lips.

I rolled my eyes and pecked her soft lips.

Instead of staying on my lap, she pulled up a chair and sat down next to me.

We were both looking out into the garden, enjoying the peace around us.

It feels so great to have her presence beside me and I still don't know how I'm going to cope without her here.

It scares me, I mean, I've gotten so used to her being here with me, I forgot what it's like to be alone.

I actually don't want to deal with the feeling of being alone. I just want her to stay here.

I turned my chair to face Katy's. She looked so distant, like she was there, but at the same time she wasn't.

You know how somebody looks when they're thinking deeply about something?

That's exactly how She looked.

"Katy?" I called, trying to get her to snap out of her daze.

She was still in her distant world so I tried again.

"Katy.."

She looked at me and then at the ground in front of us.

"I don't want to do this." She mumbled.

"Do what?"

"This." She pointed at herself and then at me.

"What do you mean you don't want to do this?" I asked skeptically.

Her eyes met mine and I could tell that there were so many emotions within them.

"Katy?" I persisted.

"I-I.. Jess, I have been let down before, and I don't want to be let down again."

"Let down? You think I'm going to let you down?" I moved my hand and reached for hers but she moved it out of reach.