Part 4

Dusti stepped into the bar and grill and looked around.  She stepped into the shadows as she watched the people.  She hadn’t been to the Cattle Crossing in a while.  Shayna had gotten her to come out a couple of times, but otherwise Dusti pretty much stayed to herself.  As she let her eyes travel over the occupants her gaze came to rest on Shayna dancing with a tall, dark haired cowboy.  She chuckled a bit, surprised that her friend wasn’t married yet.  It wasn’t like Shayna didn’t have her choice of men.

            She didn’t think about what it might mean with Shayna being there as she watched the other dancers.  Dusti suddenly gasped as a hand flew to her mouth.  She barely even noticed Wyatt as her attention was completely on his dance partner.  And it wasn’t just any girl he held in his arms.  It was…Kayla.  But Dusti didn’t understand.  Her friend was supposed to be in England, not dancing a Pierce.  She bit back a sob as she turned to run out the door.  This wasn’t her day at all.

            Dusti thought she heard someone calling her name, but she didn’t stop.  She couldn’t talk to anyone.  She was too choked up and confused.  She was wiping at her eyes just as she ran into a solid form.  She gasped softly as she stumbled backward.  Two strong arms shot out and kept her from falling to the ground.

            “I’m so sorry,” she apologized, looking up. Her eyes widened as she locked gazes with a pair of dark blue eyes that haunted her dreams. “Justin,” she stuttered, backing up a step.

            “Umm, hi,” he said awkwardly, rubbing at the back of his neck.  “Long time no see.”

            A frown creased her brown as she folded her arms over her chest.  “That wasn’t my doing, cowboy.  You walked out on me,” she said lowly.

            “Don’t start that again, Dusti.  I told you why I had to leave.  I…”

            “Oh, so you just had to leave.  I see I meant nothing to you.  It’s fine.  I’ve survived just fine without you,” she snapped, effectively cutting him off.

            Hurt flashed in Justin’s mesmerizing blue eyes, but Dusti refused to fall into his gaze this time.  Too much had happened that day for her to be very sympathetic.  The next day she would feel like a real heel, but not now.  She was hurting anyhow and she didn’t need him reminding her of what she used to have.

            “Dusti…” he tried, reaching a hand toward her.

            She backed up a step.  “No.  I’m done, Justin.  I can’t take more rejection or have you deciding to run off again.”

            She spun on her heel, leaving a very distraught Justin behind.  Normally her heart would have gone out to him, but she had put a wall around her heart after he had left her.  She wasn’t going to let herself get hurt again.  Dusti rubbed at her eyes as she walked away from him.  She looked up just in time to avoid running into another familiar figure.

            “Dusti?” Kayla asked gently.  “What is wrong?”  The cowgirl sniffled and fell into her friend’s arms.  “Dust?  Come on, talk to me.  Was that Justin that I just saw?”  Dusti nodded mutely.  “Oh, sweetie.  Come on, let’s go for a walk.”

            Dusti nodded numbly, not having the strength to argue.  Kayla put an arm around her friend’s shoulders and led her away from the noise and commotion of the Cattle Crossing.  They soon found a quiet spot in a small park.  It was late enough that no kids were out playing and early enough that there wouldn’t be any lovebirds there yet either.  Kayla stopped under a tree, letting Dusti sink into the cool grass.