CHAPTER FOURTY ONE

Steven began laying planks down and the out lining our area with wooden fences. " thanks." Ryan said to him. he nodded.

A few minutes had passed and soon our so called called camp was complete. we were just sitting and once conversation ended awkwardly I decided to ask Steven something I've always wanted to know. A/N- this is just something I came up with, probably not the true story, so don't hold me to it- let's continue. " Steven," I paused and he looked up at me, " can I ask you something?"

he nods.

C'mon spit it out, I thought to myself. I swallowed hard, "why do you not... um.." I shockingly cut off by someone.

" Why don't I talk?"

This time I was the one who nodded.

" When I was a child I was told that I am not allowed to talk unless someone forced me too, which was really never. as a kid, and let words slip out of my mouth I was beat, slapped, you name it. After that happened quite a few times I stopped talking almost all together." his voice was surprisingly level and as smooth as silk. I'm not sure who was more surprised me or Ryan.

"I'm sorry.." Ryan began but was silenced by a hand from Steven. The night seemed to press on with the greatest of slowness.

"I am going to sleep." stated Steven.

"We should all go to sleep." I said as I laid down.