I Make a New Friend

~Ashley Carter

When I opened the door to my house, I found something very strange standing in the doorway: A dog. No... two dogs. In my house!

"What the-?" I shut the door behind me as the two canines skipped around me, yapping away. I could hear water running in the bathroom. "Oh dear..."

Sarah Beth was not a dog person. Never was. Somehow, two of them found their way into our house. Okay. Sarah Beth might see them. Not okay. I had to think of something.

It was then that I saw something out of the corner of my eye. A long, light-coloured object on the end table next to the couch. It was a wand, but not like the one Sarah Beth had. I picked it up, careful not to drop it. I examined it before putting it back down and turning my head back to the little dogs.

"Whose dogs are you?"

Just then, the bathroom door opened. I didn't even hear the water stop. I was too late... Sarah Beth would freak as soon as she saw the intruders.

Only... it wasn't Sarah Beth.

It was a tall, thin woman in her mid-to-late-twenties. She had long, shiny black hair and fair complexion. Her nose was somewhat hooked. Her brown eyes went wild when she saw me. She was only wearing a towel over her.

"AUGH! GET AWAY FROM ME!!! SARAH BETH! HELP ME!!!" The girl cried desperately. The two dogs began to bark madly along with her screaming. Suddenly, she ran to the table and picked up the wand. I caught a glimpse of something black on her back as she did this. She raised the wand toward me.

"Whoa! Whoa! Calm down!" I tried to reason. I had never been more terrified. I had only seen wizards and witches do normal things with their wands (Well, as normal as magic wands can get), but I had no clue as to what damage they could do with them.

"Don't you tell me to calm down, you filthy git! I'll smash your head open if I have to, so don't you try anything funny. I swear on Merlin, I will! YOU YEAR ME?!"

"Elle?" Sarah Beth burst through the entryway to the kitchen covered in flour when she saw the black-haired girl holding the wand toward my head. "Ashley! What are you doing? You were supposed to call me when you finished practice today!"

"My phone died. I'm sorry! I didn't know we had company!" Company. A strange girl I had never seen before wearing nothing but a towel as she holds a magical weapon to me while threatening to smash my head was apparently the sort of company I'd have to get used to, I assumes. "I really didn't... Elle."

The girl, crying a bit, slowly lowered the wand and backed into the restroom. She slammed the door behind her before Sarah Beth came over to me, sidestepping around the dogs frantically.

"That's Eleanor Malfoy! Draco's wife? Yeah! The one who..." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "Is recovering from a really traumatic experience."

"Oh..." I placed my hand on my face. "I am such an idiot..."

"Just wait here." She walked to the bathroom door and talked calmly to her friend on the other side. "Ellie? It's okay. That's just Ashley. He's my boyfriend. He didn't know you were here. I am so sorry he scared you... Are you going to be okay?"

I heard a few sniffs. "I guess so..."

"Alright. I'm going to bring your clothes."

"Thanks..."

Sarah Beth knocked on the door and reached a change of clothes to Eleanor Malfoy before heading back to the kitchen. She emerged, albeit slowly, afterward wearing a grey sweater and black trousers.