Bind Chapter 7

"You failed." Hank said. Oliver tried not to laugh. Scott had his mentor break the news rather than face him. Apparently landing beneath Emma's diamond form had broken a rib or two. Not to mention his gashed up leg - Oliver saw Scott limping around and figured it served him right. He wanted to know what he could do and he got his answer. And for once Oliver didn't feel bad about hurting someone.

"Bummer." Oliver shrugged nonchalantly.

"You made quite the impression though. Your tactical adaptability is nothing short of amazing. I'm a bit unnerved at how easily you murdered what you believed to be your father but everything else was spot on." Hank said as he looked over the report he had typed up for Scott. He had barely read it before giving it back. He told Hank to deliver his decision and continue to monitor Oliver. "Your mutation enhances your hunting prowess - you can lower your heart rate and breathing to a degree that your 'prey' can not sense you. Or in this case, the field suits sensors. When your natural fight or flight instincts get to a certain level you can essentially shut them down as a survival mechanism. Without the distraction of emotion your other senses are heightened - you could smell where we were in the observation deck and that's how you threw the sentinel head through the window. That deck has the most sophisticated cloaking in the world - when engaged no one should be able to detect it. But you did. Amazing!" Hank smiled wide as he re-read his report on his discoveries.

"But yet I'm still not one of the famous X-men." Oliver asked.

"If X-force hadn't been disbanded you'd be perfect for them but... as it stands I'm afraid you're just going to have to settle for being my assistant."

"I'll manage." Oliver said. They smiled at each other.

-----

"You're still here." Oliver looked over his shoulder when he heard Azazel. The red man seemed truly surprised as he walked over and sat next to Oliver. "Am I to assume you made up with Kurt." He said his name like he disapproved of it - like that wasn't what he would've named him given the chance.

"Yeah sort of. Were you affected at all by M-day?"

"I live in a different dimension." Azazel answered.

"Is that where you took me? Did you know M-day was going to happen? It seems like you brought me back here just in time for me to get mixed up in it." Oliver said. Azazel shrugged. "What ever apparently I have it coming - people messing with me just because they can. Y'know what my premonition is for this - you'll end up pissed just like everyone else when you realize you can't control me."

"You're in a mood. Did things go that badly with Kurt?" Azazel asked as he plucked Oliver's cigarette out of his hand.

"Not everything is about him but yes it's a damn mess. I mean we're talking but it's hard to deal with everything that happened. I don't know how to feel because half my memories and feelings are faded false projections from M-day. I'm trying to wait it out until Kurt's fade completely - trying to get him to realize I'm not what he wants so we can move on—"

"You're lying." Azazel interrupted before he took a drag from the cigarette. He exhaled through his nose and flicked the ash away. "You want to find him right now and blow him. You're just pretending you don't want to take advantage of his addled thoughts. Which surprised even me - that boy is a pussy-hound if there ever was one and then you come along and throw a wrench in everything. It's so perfectly chaotic. You really have to appreciate it."

"You don't know me."

"You don't know you." Azazel pointed out. "You're so stressed out. You're so jumpy all the time and afraid - it's because you're afraid to be yourself. Stop playing nice. Stop being who they want you to be and just do what you want." He took another few puffs before he handed it back. "You'll feel better."