Minilan- Shapeshifter

Lachlan's P.O.V.

I felt sleek and powerful, my muscles sinewy and strong. The houses flew by, my breath strong, my heart quick and my muscles ached pleasantly, my wicked-looking claws tucked into my paws where they wouldn't get in the way.

My sleek blonde fur was smooth and strong, an almost exact replica of your typical house cat, but much stronger. I was an unusual colour for a cat, but it was the colour of my hair when I was in human form. I was fit, I could run for miles without feeling it anymore than I would feel myself sleeping normally and I loved it so much.

I was almost home, well the home I had known for the last month or so, but the houses were becoming more familiar as I kept going. I streaked down the driveway, hoping that no one was out in the driveway that would see me. I was wrong.

Just as I rounded the corner, still going full speed, I saw Josh out at the wheelybin and as soon as he heard me, he turned.

"Woah! Easy kitty!" I slowed, yowling at him. He was blocking my only path to the back door, which I needed to get to, to get back into the house. When he didn't move I cautiously stepped towards him, unsure if he would try to reach out and pet me.

He took a step back and I streaked past him, around the back and out of his sight. As soon as I was in the backyard I made a beeline for the back trees and made sure that no one could see me from the house before transforming back.

It was painful, making me whine quietly. It was uncomfortable to say the least, feeling my claws turn back into finger nails, my bones growing and realigning, my fur disappearing and my hair growing back in. Once I was back in my usual form I sat on the ground, exhausted.

My head was nodding and I knew I was going to fall asleep if I didn't get inside. I stood, shakily, and made my way back over to the house, quietly opening the living room door, where I knew no one was. I had left the door unlocked before I had gone out.

"Hey Lachy-" I yelped, jumping about a foot in the air and turning in a defensive position. "Oh- shit sorry Lachlan, I didn't mean to scare you."

I sighed, my hand still over my heart.

"Oh my God Simon, don't do that!" He stepped forward to hug me.

"Sorry Lachy, I didn't mean it." I rubbed my eyes.

"You're lucky you didn't make me shift."

"I know, I know I shouldn't scare you." He was shifting from foot to foot nervously, thinking of the time he had scared me so badly that I had shifted and refused to turn back for two days. Because it's painful to transform and I was forced to transform against my will, I refused to go back, knowing that I would be aching for day and suffering from sensory overload.

He squeezed my hand gently, his other hand resting in the small of my back. We were basically the same height so when I looked up our eyes were at the same level and the only thing that made Simon taller than me was his lankiness.

"Let's go okay." He gave me a peck on my cheek and I grinned, wrinkling my nose. He was so cheesy.

We tiptoed into the kitchen at sat at the bench, Simon with a cup of coffee in his hand and me with my head on the cold tiles. I was still exhausted, shifting took a lot of energy and it was also painful so I avoided doing it all the time, maybe once a week at most and when I did I was tired for days afterwards.

I was about asleep with my head on the table when Josh walked into the room rather nosily, three or four empty mugs clutched in his hands. As soon as he saw me he froze, glancing at Simon, almost asking what to do.

"Hey Josh." Simon spoke around a mouthful of coffee and I didn't move, the cool benchtop feeling nice on the painful headache that was building behind my eyes.

"You good there?" Again I didn't move.

"Mmmmm." I brought my hands up to above my head, blocking the light coming from above from reaching my eyes.

"Tired or sensory overload?" He had had enough experience with my frequent episodes of sensory overload to know what it was and how to stop it, and Simon nodded for me because he knew I wouldn't do it myself.

"Both, so nothing much is going to get done today." He laughed quietly to himself and came and sat down beside me, placing one hand on my shoulder.

I yelped, his touch sending vibrations through me and even though it didn't make any sound, it felt like someone had slammed a sledgehammer into the wall beside my head. He pulled back, fast, which only made things worse as I could sense all of his movement.

Simon gestured to him out of my sight and he stopped moving, but I could still feel his breathing, his heartbeat, his muscle twitches. One downside of being a cat, everything was magnified to the point where it was painful, which is why I couldn't stand loud places like concerts or malls.

The two stayed in silence for a few minutes while I tried to calm my sense, everything still running haywire inside my head. The headache was pounding behind my eyes, making everything worse, so I just kept my head on the cool table and hoped it would go away.

After about 5 minutes, Simon started moving around, little but deliberately quiet actions to gauge my reaction. His little movements made me flinch, whining quietly, but it didn't cause any pain like I thought it would, surprisingly.

Simon's movements slowly got louder and louder until he slipped from the chair and landed on the hard tiles floor with a slap from his feet. Again I flinched and kept my head covered but to my surprise, nothing followed. No pain, no vibrations that made my head spin, no follow-up noises that made me want to crawl into a silent hole and sleep.

The light switching off behind me made me jump but I immediately relaxed in the darkness.

"Is that better?" Simon's voice was kept soft, reassuring and comforting and I nodded gingerly, unsure if the pain would come back.

"Sorry Lachy." That was Josh's apology for touching my shoulder earlier and I shrugged it off, turning my head to the side so I could adjust to the light. Simon tugged on my hand.

"Come on, you-" He gave my hand another tug. "Are going to bed."

I stood and gave a small smile to Josh, rubbing my eyes as I waited for the blinding lights of hall as Simon tugged at my hand to get me to follow him. But to my surprise, all of the lights were off.

The only light coming in was the light from the windows, and that light was soft and orange from the dusky sky outside. I smiled to myself, knowing that it must have been Vikk that had gone around and turned everything off.

"Do you wanna stay in my room tonight?" I nodded.

He smiled and edged his hand towards mine ever so slightly until his fingertips brushed my palm, waiting for me to give permission. I unfurled my fingers and lets his slip into my hand until I could feel the warmth of his hand in mine. It was nice, and my face turned red.

"Come on, I'll edit some of my videos once you're asleep." He pulled me into his room where it was still dark and for which I was immensely glad for. "Hopefully you'll better after you've slept."

I inclined my head and crawled on his bed, collapsing onto it within seconds. Simon laughed quietly and pulled the covers out from underneath me, laying them on top of me as I made grabby hands at him to make him lie down next to me.

He did so, slipping underneath the covers and letting me cling to him, my hands fisting around his t-shirt and my head buried in his shoulder. Our legs were entangled and Simon's arms were wrapped around my waist, pulling me as close as possible.

He was keeping my face in his chest, blocking me from any sound or light that might creep into his room and his touch was light, one hand trailing up and down my back and the other resting on my hip, just underneath my t-shirt.

"Goodnight my little shifter." I smiled to myself at the nickname. "I hope you feel better in the morning."

I didn't do anything other than push myself further into his hold. He laughed, his warm breath tickling the top of my head.

"Goodnight you cheesy weirdo." That got a snort from him.

"Yeah, yeah I love you too."