Chapter 1

Sarah studied the magnificent structure of the cathedral. Every design on it had a meaning, a story to tell, and something that made you wonder more and more about it. Slowly inching towards the wooden brown door with carved drawings of previous prophets, she ran her finger along the handle. Abigail-her best friend smiled, bursting with joy Sarah was finally there with her.

"Sacred Heart Cathedral," Abigail told her, thinking since Sarah's parents were gone, she could maybe get her friend to go in for herself. "The one I told you about last time you were here."

Sarah let out a long sigh. "This is the closest I've been to one."

"Come on!" Abigail tapped Sarah's hand. "It's beautiful inside. You must see for yourself."

Sarah began to feel lightheaded, remembering the warning of her parents before they both died. Their warnings, even though at different times, remained clear and both the same.

"Never stray from your religion. If you do, your destruction isn't too far behind."

Though questionable of their words, Sarah had never been one to accept her parent's religion. Islam wasn't her. She didn't know what was. However, her best friend has always been the one to sway her curiosity towards the cathedral.

With a weak smile, Sarah nodded her head. "I'm ready."

Her friend beamed with excitement, leading her to the entrance on the other side of the cathedral. Sarah's parent's words lingered throughout her mind with every step. She tried to fight it off with positivity, but the closer the two of them got to the entrance, Sarah's gut feeling became more and more intense.

"Right this way," Abagail opened the door. The bishop stood by the water fountain, examining it as if something was wrong. He turned around, smiling as soon as he saw the girls.

"Abagail, Sarah. What a lovely surprise," he focused his attention on Sarah more, fading more into an empathic look. "I'm so sorry about your parents. Though, I am delighted to see you again. It's been almost six months."

"Yes," she replied to him. "I had been caring for them in their last days."

"You are in my prayers."

"Thank you," Sarah replied with a smile.

Abagail took Sarah by the hand. "May I show her around. Please."

The bishop looked at both then eventually smiled. "You girls are old enough to keep things in place, right? The candles are lit, so please be careful."

"Bless you!" Abagail said, then pulled her out of the almost empty room pass another wooden door that led into a spacious area with chairs for sitting, an altar, lit candles, and more statues of figures and angels. No one was around. Just them. Abagail looked at Sarah and rolled her eyes. "he does know we're like 22, right? Old enough," she mocked his voice.

"This place is so beautiful...and dark," Sarah slowly began to walk on her own. She saw the candles the bishop was talking about, about 30 of them. Walking towards them, she thought they were amazing. However, one by one, each candle began to go out.