Newt

*The 66th Hunger games*

Seven months. It had been seven months since Finnick had left. Newt and I were walking on the shore of the beach talking about random stuff. Then suddenly he stopped me and held my hand.

"Happy birthday, (y/n)" he said with a small smile and pulled out a heart shaped pendant from his pocket.

I took the pendant from his hand and stared at it in awe. I engulfed him in a hug and buried my face in the crook of his neck, "Thank you so much Newt, it is beautiful" I mumbled.

He gave a small laugh and placed a tender kiss on the side of my head. "You are welcome, love" he replied.

A blush rose up to my cheeks and I was glad he couldn't see it. He pulled away and tied it around my neck. His hands trailed down my shoulders and said, "This is symbol of a promise I am giving you, that I'll be there with you no matter what." I gave a smile in gratitude.

After a while we decided to go and grab lunch. As we entered my house, I was shocked to see Finnick, the goofball that I grew up with, sitting on my sofa and watching the TV. I was staring at him like he grew two heads while he got up and walked over to stand in front of me.

"Surprise!" he hugged me. I immediately hugged him back. "Happy birthday, (y/n)" he said.

"You are here! For my birthday!" I squealed.

He laughed and Newt chuckled at my childishness. "Of course I am here. Well not just for your birthday but also for..." he trailed of.

"Also for what?" I asked.

"The 66th hunger games. I was called to mentor the tributes selected tomorrow" he said sadly. The happiness in the room had was replaced with a heavy atmosphere at the mention of the games. We had forgotten about it. And to make matters worse, my name will be in the bowl this year.

"What if one of us gets reaped?" I looked at Newt.

"Then we will just have to train out butt off and make sure we win." Newt replied flatly. "C'mon, let's eat. We have a long day tomorrow"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, I got dressed and went to the district center, where Newt and his family decided to meet me. I quickly spotted Newt due to his tall figure and walked over. I gave Clara a hug and Annie took my hand and the both of us went to the girls section of the potential tribute assembly area.

The same capitol lady came and spoke the same ritual she did every year. I immediately tuned out.

"...as usual, ladies first" my ears perked up as soon as she said it. I clutched the pendant Newt gave me and shut my eyes tight. Annie squeezed my hand in assurance but it did not help. The capitol lady took a chit out and opened it slowly. Every second that passed by made me feel even more nauseous. And then she reached up to mic and read the name out loud, "Samantha fox".

I let out a huge sigh of relief and so did Annie. At least we was safe for another year. After the girl had gone to stage, my worry came back. It was the boys' turn. I held the pendant in both hands and squeezed it. I prayed for the name to not be Newt's.

The lady spoke into the mic, "and now for the boys," she reached into the bowl and took a chit out. I looked at Annie who had her eyes shut for her brother. Then I looked at Clara who was waiting for the name to be called out anxiously. My eyes drifted towards Newt. He had his head hung low and was shuffling on his feet. The lady opened the chit and like last time, the same feeling of a dagger plunging into my heart came back as she read out, "Newt Cresta".

Annie let out an audible gasp. I caught Newt's eyes and he gave a small smile. A tear slid down my face with the fear of Newt not making it alive from the games. But I knew he was in good hands with Finnick as his mentor. The both of us pushed our way through to Clara. Annie bursted out into tears and hugged her mom. Clara rubbed her back and said reassuring words to her sobbing daughter.

We go to same room Finnick was kept last year and found Newt talking to Finnick, and once again they abruptly stopped at the sight of me. I was too disoriented to notice it. Newt gave his mom and sister a hug, consoling them that he will win.

Finnick came up to me and said, "Hey, don't worry about Newt, I'll make sure he wins alright?" he gave a sad smile as tears started to fill my eyes again. He pulled me into a hug and mumbled, "He will do anything to win, just for you." With a confused look on my face I pulled away and looked at him. He simply winked and walked away.

Newt walked up to me and looked at me with pained eyes. He quickly pulled me into a hug and all those tears came flooding out as I sobbed into his chest. We stayed like that for a long time before he pulled away and said, "If I don't make it out alive from the games, I want you to know that I have always-" he was interrupted by the peacekeepers who barged in and told that our time was up.

"Tell me what you want to tell once you come home after winning." I said with a small smile.

He gave a nod in response and we exited the room.
____________________________________________________

It had been four weeks since Newt entered the arena. I didn't watch as I was scared to see Newt in whatever condition he was in. But I got regular updates from Annie and Clara. As of now he was fine and one of the 5 people left in the game. Annie said he created booby traps everywhere in the arena. So when someone steps on it, they get hung by their feet and then he would just shoot them with an arrow. Something that I taught him.

Annie bursted into my room that day and pulled me out of my bed and dragged me downstairs.

She switched on the TV and said, "You have to see this". Newt was sitting under a tree, panting heavily. There were 4 bodies hanging from different traps. 4 lifeless bodies. Then the announcement by Claudius Templesmith filled the arena. "Ladies and gentlemen, the winner of the 66th hunger games, Newt Cresta!" Relief filled my body as I let out a huge sigh. Annie squealed and hugged me and I hugged her back. She soon left the house to go see her mother. Meanwhile I was looking at the TV and saw that Newt had passed out, and a hovercraft came and collected his limp body.

A week had gone by and Newt returned after recovering. Finnick was by his side when they got down from the craft. I ran and tackled Newt into a bone crushing hug. He chuckled and whispered, "See, I told you I'll be back".

I looked into his chocolate brown eyes, which seemed to be twinkling, and replied in a snarky tone, "Well, it was very peaceful when you were gone." He glared at me playfully and hugged me once more.

We went home after the huge feast. Newt along with Annie and Clara shifted into the Victor's village in the house next to mine. He had come over along with Finnick and they were lying lazily on my bed while I was sitting on the sofa.

Finnick said, "The both of us have been crowned victors, (y/n). It's your turn next." he looked up from the bed just to receive a flat comment from my side.

"I don't kill for entertainment"

"But if you get reaped, then what are you going to do?" Newt asked.

"What you both did, win it." I replied.

"But with that stupid brain of yours, there is a high chance of you getting killed on the first day." He jokes to which I reached over to swat his arm.

"And that is why," Finnick started, "we shall train both Annie and you in case you get reaped for the games". Newt nodded in agreement.

"But what about your 'thing' with the capitol?" I asked

"Don't use that as an excuse to not train with us, you lazy kid." Finnick joked and Newt chuckled.

"Well alright then, when do we start?"