Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Megan was awake bright and early the next morning, thanks to Holly and her alto voice.

“Megaaaaaaaaaaan!” Holly called, digging into a ham and egg sandwich.

“I’m coming, I’m coming! Jeez.” Rolling her eyes, Megan entered the kitchen and hugged her mom. “Tell her not to scream again,” she pouted, causing her mother to burst into laughter.

“The two of you are adorable,” her dad commented, walking into the kitchen while fixing his tie. “Now behave well when we’re gone and I promise you, we’ll take you along the next time we visit your grandmother, okay?”

“Okay,” Megan and Holly chorused, looking up from their respective breakfasts.

“Have a good weekend,” Holly smiled.

“Yeah,” Megan added, “Don’t forget to get us lots of presents.”

Lots of them,” her sister emphasized, winking at Megan.

Laughing, their parents bid them goodbye and exited the house, only after calling out numerous instructions and warnings.

Closing the door, Holly faced Megan with her hands on her hips and an evil smile.

“Whatever you’re gonna suggest,” Megan rushed in, “Count me out. Numerous assignments to complete, remember?”

I’ll probably just head down to the library and hunt for books again, Megan told herself inwardly.

Holly shrugged her small shoulders. “I was actually just thinking of heading down to Nesta’s. Wanna come? I promise we won’t do anything wild.”

Library or Nesta? Megan asked herself.

The answer came in an instant. “Okay,” Megan sighed, smiling softly, “You can head out. I’ll come in a couple of minutes.”

“Sure,” Holly was already halfway out the door, “Holler if you need help.”

“Need help changing out of my nightdress?” Megan laughed, “I think I’ll manage.”

Smirking, Holly nodded, stuffing her hands into her jean pockets and closing the door behind her.

Megan rolled her eyes at the closed door, before walking to her room and plugging in her iPod. Dancing around, she pulled open her closet and scanned through some clothes.

“What to wear...what to wear…” she began mumbling to herself.

Suddenly, a loud crash sounded behind her.

Screaming impulsively, Megan whirled around and pulled off her earplugs, scanning her bedroom. There was no one else in here but her.

Grabbing the closest weapon-like object she could find – a hair straightener – she slowly made her way to the living room.

“H-hello?” Megan called, immediately slapping herself for her stupidity.

Much to her surprise, a voice from the kitchen replied, “Hello there.”

Jumping, she let out a scream, edging her way to the kitchen slowly. She took a deep breath, then raised the hair straightener in front of her and walked in.

“Megan, dear, I didn’t really mean for that vase to fall down. Think you could forgive me?”

Megan bit her lip, peering at the tall man that stood in her kitchen. His hair was a soft chocolate brown, his eyes a contrasting blue. He was wearing a blue dress shirt with a black coat over it. He didn’t exactly look like the average robber. He didn’t even talk like one.